Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Competency Validity Periods

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    By function of law the comp cannot expire whilst there is a licensed firearm under that category... or it would invalidate the license... which it cannot.
    I think I understand it now. If I have a FA that I licensed when I first got my competency, I renew both as they expire at the same time in 10 years (hunting rifle). If I buy another FA 5 years after I bought the first, the competency will still expire after 10 years, even if I sell the first FA before 10 years are up and keep the second, the second license is still valid after 10 years but the competency is not. I cannot rely on the second license to extend the competency to expire at 15 years. The system will only pick up the expired competency when I try to renew the second license, or if I try to buy a new FA between the 10 and 15 year period. The point of renewing the competency is (?????) I can't even say that it generates jobs or money, because the money collected probably doesn't even cover the costs of the admin staff/ computers buildings etc.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Paul wasn’t GOSA going to court to get the expiry dates off licenses removed?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Paul wasn’t GOSA going to court to get the expiry dates off licenses removed?
    No. We will if we have a plaintiff who will stay the course. We've never had one.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Ah ok
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    No. We will if we have a plaintiff who will stay the course. We've never had one.
    Are class action lawsuits a thing in SA? Could such a thing be done by for example the entire membership of GOSA or some such organisation?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    Are class action lawsuits a thing in SA? Could such a thing be done by for example the entire membership of GOSA or some such organisation?
    We've looked into this. IIRC...

The class is narrowly defined. The cause and the remedy has to be almost identical for all members of the class in order to be certified. It is almost impossible to assemble a class where the complainants/plaintiffs have identical interests.
    Unknown Barbarian

Thanks for the reply. Pity though.

User

Evening all

Just thought I would add some last details

As mentioned initially, after being unarmed for nearly two years, I applied for a new license (from not having anything licensed) but noticed when I submitted on 16/01/2024 that my competency card expires the very next day on the 17th of Jan 2024. so I fully expected the application to be thrown out, but for some reason all went well

My license was approved today and I took my firearm home.

So no idea what really happened

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf Potgieter View Post
    Evening all

Just thought I would add some last details

As mentioned initially, after being unarmed for nearly two years, I applied for a new license (from not having anything licensed) but noticed when I submitted on 16/01/2024 that my competency card expires the very next day on the 17th of Jan 2024. so I fully expected the application to be thrown out, but for some reason all went well

My license was approved today and I took my firearm home.

So no idea what really happened
    In the 2006 Amendment Act the competency was determined to follow the license. So comp, if NO license, CANNOT expire. The clock only starts ticking once a license is attached to it.
    Unknown Barbarian

User

All very confusing!

Our local DFO applies the competency in a way we all understand, whether it be right or wrong....
    He applies/looks at the competency as a separate item, like a "membership". Competency is valid for 10 years and needs to be renewed accordingly, just like a membership to an organization, range, etc. which is renewed annually.

Should you need to renew a license or want to apply for a new license your competency needs to be valid - as simple as that.
    He does not look at the license vs competency date to see which one is valid for longer, etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast