Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Competency Validity Periods

Good day all.

Hope I am asking in the correct section.

I have quick question as I heard conflicting information.

Are your comps valid for five or ten years?

If you license a new handgun for example, does that renew your comp automatically?

And lastly. say you had a handgun, sold it. how does this effect your competency validity?

My competency has a issue date, no expire date on it

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Competency Validity Periods

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf Potgieter View Post
    Good day all.

Hope I am asking in the correct section.

I have quick question as I heard conflicting information.

Are your comps valid for five or ten years?

If you license a new handgun for example, does that renew your comp automatically?

And lastly. say you had a handgun, sold it. how does this effect your competency validity?

My competency has a issue date, no expire date on it

Thanks in advance!
    Competency is linked to firearm licence. When the last of your firearm licenced in that category expires, your comp expires.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

That much I understand. say I license a DSS firearm in 2000 (your only firearm), that would mean the comp would be valid until 2010, same as the license.

But say you sell that firearm after two or six years. how does that effect the comp? does it expire when the firearm is removed from your name, or would it continue running until 2010?

The only thing i can add to this topic is that no matter what the law says, which in any event is wishy washy when it comes to competency validity, but each and every DFO will have his own rule.

Last time i went to apply for a new license, i was told to renew all my competencies in one go. Go figure…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Irrespective of the various and differing interpretations of the law by everybody and his dog, I strongly recommend you just renew it every 5 years because the effort and cost involved in doing so is negligible when compared to arguing about whether or not the validity is extended every time you procure a new firearm..............

Yes, it burns my arse more than most because I have multiple competencies but sometimes it makes life easier if one is just pragmatic.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf Potgieter View Post
    That much I understand. say I license a DSS firearm in 2000 (your only firearm), that would mean the comp would be valid until 2010, same as the license.

But say you sell that firearm after two or six years. how does that effect the comp? does it expire when the firearm is removed from your name, or would it continue running until 2010?
    If that is the only firearm of that type that you own then the comp expires the moment the firearm license comes off your name.

Comp validity is tied to the licensed firearm of that type... for better or for worse. No 5 year/10 year at all. The Act is crystal clear on this... a least. SAPS misunderstand the Act, and so do PSIRA. Don't be fooled by ignorant people.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    Last time i went to apply for a new license, i was told to renew all my competencies in one go. Go figure...
    I had the same thing with my DFO. I don't think the dfo's know either tbh. My dfo said renew it, then you know everything is up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    If that is the only firearm of that type that you own then the comp expires the moment the firearm license comes off your name.

Comp validity is tied to the licensed firearm of that type... for better or for worse. No 5 year/10 year at all. The Act is crystal clear on this... a least. SAPS misunderstand the Act, and so do PSIRA. Don't be fooled by ignorant people.
    But hang on a bit.
    A prospective new firearm owner needs to apply for competency before he can apply for a license.
    So let's assume he gets the competency before he even buys a firearm. Maybe he spends some time waiting for the right gun or deal to come around. And perhaps there is a hiccup with the application for the firearm license. The DFO loses it, or it gets refused and he appeals. This process once took me 5 years.

How long does the competency remain valid for in this case, considering that there is as yet no firearm license to tie it to?

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    But hang on a bit.
    A prospective new firearm owner needs to apply for competency before he can apply for a license.
    So let's assume he gets the competency before he even buys a firearm. Maybe he spends some time waiting for the right gun or deal to come around. And perhaps there is a hiccup with the application for the firearm license. The DFO loses it, or it gets refused and he appeals. This process once took me 5 years.

How long does the competency remain valid for in this case, considering that there is as yet no firearm license to tie it to?
    If no license is issued in terms of that competence category the competence CANNOT expire (not after 5 years, 10 years or a million years). That's literally what the Act says. Anyone suggesting anything else is just plain wrong. The Act was amended in this regard in 2006.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast