Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 30-06 Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Bought this gun the other day - was a drunken purchase after my friend convinced me to get it

Anyway, how is this gun?
    I have not fired 30-06 before

Deciding whether to sell it or just add to the collection

User

Default Re: 30-06 Ruger M77 Hawkeye

30-06 is like a cross between a 308 and a 300WM if you reload for it. It's a lekker caliber, it's not heavy on barrels or brass, but it's an old caliber. I like mine.

The M77 is a nice rifle, but accessories and stuff are not as frequently found as with other brands. Unless you have a specific use for it, I'd sell it, IMO. It's money.

Ok, you guys all have your popcorn ready?

In my opinion, the Ruger M77 action is in terms of design the best controlled-round-feed bolt action out there. In terms of materials of construction, there isn't much wrong with it either. In terms of manufacturing tolerances, it's probably on par with any of its' much-revered mass-produced predecessors (Mauser 98, Winchester pre-'64 M70 etc.) but obviously not in the same league as some of the bespoke limited-volume CRF actions available now. But then those actions will cost more than a whole Ruger rifle.

Of course, whether or not CRF is a necessary or even useful feature in a .30-06 hunting rifle is an entirely different discussion. But this action would make a fine starting point for a DG rifle build. Pity there's so many hoops to jump through to do that.

User

What are you planning on using it for? They are mechanically sound rifles, decent trigger/stock. Most gun shops will have scope mounts for them, event rails. Should be accurate as is, maybe needs bedding job.

The rifles are lightweight, so excellent walk-and-stalk option. M77 in 30-06 has quite a decent amount of recoil, not best option for a lot of shots off a shooting bench. This is much better with a decent suppressor.

If you need a decent hunting rifle, keep it for sure! As a donor action for DG gun (except for paperwork issues), go for it! I have a factory 375Ruger M77, my go to walk and stalk gun.

If you bought it as a range gun/competition gun, there are more suitable options.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

If I do keep it, it will be as a range gun
    I do not hunt and have no intention of ever going that route

Unfortunately bought it via an auction, so I cannot just return it. Either I keep it or find a buyer for it.
    But I need to decide before I go the route of licensing it

Was actually saving up to get the Norinco ak47 as soon as stock lands. Looks like il be getting 2 new guns now :)

As a range gun it has little to recommend it, sad to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    As a range gun it has little to recommend it, sad to say.
    Yes, it is a good hunting rifle in a great hunting caliber but it really is not suited as a range rifle. Sell it to a hunter.

User

hmmm. Will advertise when im able to reach 50 posts on this forum :)

User

Yeah I tried to build mine as a range gun, and it's capable, but it's not a range gun. The .30-06 is an older caliber and it just does not play as well as newer cartridges. To boot, I'm not sure if I want a controlled feed action just for sitting on a bench all day.

If I were you, and with your story, I'd sell it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah I tried to build mine as a range gun, and it's capable, but it's not a range gun. The .30-06 is an older caliber and it just does not play as well as newer cartridges. To boot, I'm not sure if I want a controlled feed action just for sitting on a bench all day.

If I were you, and with your story, I'd sell it.
    Thanks

Yeah, im going to try and sell it. Failing to do so, il just keep it in the collection.

Any good platforms to advertise this? (I cannot sell on this platform just yet)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast