User

Default An African Safari is still great value for money for the European hunter.

Back in the day I was always amazed at the US dollar prices on game farm websites. I had no frame of reference to help me understand why foreign hunters were willing to pay those ‘crazy’ prices.

I thought I could provide some context as to why European hunters are willing to pay ‘crazy’ prices to hunt plains game in Southern Africa

Most German hunters are not fortunate enough to have access to Red, fallow and Sika deer. Most only have access to roe deer and pigs.

This means that if a German hunter wants to hunt something other than roe or pig, they will need to pay for a hunting vacation.

This month's issue of my local hunting magazine contained two advertisements that provides a good insight as to why an African Hunting holiday is a popular choice for European hunters.

The above package goes for €3500 which converts into R71,855.32. The package includes all meals and drinks. You basically just need to pay to get there and pay to get your trophies back. A direct flight from Frankfurt to Windhoek during this time of the year will set a hunter back another €1154. So, before tips and taxidermy, the hunt will cost €4654 or R95,547.04 considering the exchange rage. This seems like a ridiculous amount of money for an oryx, hartebeest and warthog.

On the flip side, the second advertisement is for a red stag hunt in Poland. With a bit of leg work you’ll be able to find it a bit cheaper, but I’ve also seen them go for a hell of lot more than this.

This €5550 (R113,942.00) hunt is a six day all-inclusive hunt for one red stag till a certain size. It also includes the transport of the trophy back to Germany.

Even with the added price of a flight ticket, a three animal African hunting package is still cheaper than the red stag hunt in Poland.

User

Default Re: An African Safari is still great value for money for the European hunter.

An African Safari is still good value for money.

A Kodiak Brown Bear goes easily for $20k. And here is the kicker, you pay the money over then go and hunt for a week or so. Whether you see a Brown Bear or not, whether it rains the whole time that you can't leave your tent/lodge, whether you shoot or not, the money is gone. I know a guy who took 3 x attempts to get his Bear. Was over $60K.

So when you compare that to our prices, we are more affordable that what people think. And mostly, you don't pay for what you don't shoot unless it's some package deal