Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Cold Bore No More

The video shows a possible solution to cold bore shots but sadly it is not tested in centerfire.

The shooter blows in to his barrel leaving hot, humid air then shoots a string to test velocity. The outcome is very good for velocity but he does not show the target.

User

Default Re: Cold Bore No More

Interesting, but I don't think it has any real world application for hunters. I just don't see any game hanging around while you give your rifle a blow job before trying to shoot it.

My apologies - I just could not resist

User

When shooting black powder breach loaders, we also used a blow tube. Three times blow through before every shot kept point of impact pretty close to each other. For some reason it kept the fouling to a minimum and velocities reasonably constant.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    When shooting black powder breach loaders, we also used a blow tube. Three times blow through before every shot kept point of impact pretty close to each other. For some reason it kept the fouling to a minimum and velocities reasonably constant.
    Can you maybe think of any scientifically proven reason/s why it worked? I cannot think of any. I wonder, can it be the dampness?
    If you want get your shotgun barrel and chamber to rust you can blow the smoke out of your barrel. Maybe that is where the saying come from: blowing smoke up somebodies ...... ?

I am under the impression that it is common practice to blow through BP breech-loader's barrels but after eafh shot, rather than before. The reason is that the moisture softens the fouling a little.

In other words, not before the first shot?

I have never noticed a distinct shift in POI from a cold bore with any of my rifles, but have noticed distinct POI shifts due to a clean bore. I very much doubt this will fix the clean bore issue but obviously I haven't tried it.

While back bought Hoppes fancier branded gun oil.

It says on the bottle assist with first shot cold bore.

And honestly in my experience it does do that.

User

People usually say 'the barrel has to warm up' so I think that stuck and confused a lot of people.
    I don't think the barrel can reach optimum temp and/or expansion after one shot so I doubt that is the cause.
    If a chemical can assist it must be something inside the barrel. I bet those okes at Hoppes made an oil that simulates the lubricity of water and it gets shot out after the first shot so it the same as hot breath.

I hope someone can give some feedback from an outing with their centerfire rifle.

User

The biggest problem with cold bore shots is empirical data, and then even worse the processing of any data.

1: Some people think a clean bore is a cold bore, some people think it’s a clean and cold bore, some people think it’s a fouled but cold bore.
    2: Cold bore or cold human, if you get to the range for 99% of folk their cold bore will be their own cold shot, meaning the first shot they take, in any sport you need to warm up, get focused, shooting is not different, you need to get into your perfect shooting position the first shot ain’t often it.
    If you swap rifles half an hour into a shooting session is the cold bore shot still so pronounced, or was it you that warmed up?
    Is your first swing on the golf course you take your best one?
    3: Is your barrel cold or your ammo cold?
    I’ve sat on a range where a bottle of water froze next to me, I’ve sat in 30 degrees plus the velocity is different, where does your rifle shoot under all these different circumstances.
    4: Cold bore or cold data on the shooting environment, meaning for your first shot do you actually know what your rifle will do in the current conditions? You don’t have DOPE you must first test and see, some ELR shooters straight up give themselves a huge margin of error, and they openly state luck with it.

If you can make sense of all these variables every single time, and you document each variable every single time, then I suspect you won’t be asking questions you will sit with the answer in front of you.
    I just don’t think it’s a simple topic, at all.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Hunter View Post
    Interesting, but I don't think it has any real world application for hunters. I just don't see any game hanging around while you give your rifle a blow job before trying to shoot it.

My apologies - I just could not resist
    Came here looking for the who was first to the BJ comment... I was not disappointed.

User

Sounds like a solution to a non existing problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast