Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Efficacy of a recoil pad.

Good evening gents, I hope everyone is well and has had a great weekend.

I own a CZ550 chambered in 450 Rigby. Since buying the rifle I have changed a few things to it. It was already well modified with some things I would have chosen, and others not.

It was fitters with a silvers recoil pad. In my opinion, its best functions are stock protection and aesthetic appeal. It is rock hard.

I realize a 450 Rigby is not meant to be a .243 and will never be as comfortable as one. I am happy with that and have no issues shooting it. I however have sent it in to have an oil finish on the stock and have been presented with the opportunity to change the recoil pad.

The shop that it is at has a Pachmayr Decelerator 1” pad in stock. A lot of the more senior hunters I know say that a “sissy” pad will do very little to change felt recoil. I wanted to put it to the forum and ask if you agree or in turn feel it will make a noticeable difference.

I need to make my choice soon and so would really appreciate your input. I don’t want to waste money unnecessarily having it fitted, but also don’t want to miss a good opportunity to do a worthwhile change to my rifle.

Kind regards

User

Default Re: Efficacy of a recoil pad.

If it doesn't change the value and aesthetics of the rifle, then for whatever r coil it may mitigate I reckon is worth it.

Why the hell not try knock off a couple lbs of force if the opportunity is there.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quite frankly the guys who call out “sissy” probably don’t shoot heavy recoiling rifles. If it more comfortable to shoot you’ll shoot it better. I have a Decelerator on my 375 and it did make a noticeable difference.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    If it doesn't change the value and aesthetics of the rifle, then for whatever r coil it may mitigate I reckon is worth it.

Why the hell not try knock off a couple lbs of force if the opportunity is there.

It shouldn’t change the aesthetics should remain the Siam as it’s also a red pad. I also agree, I’d it makes a noticeable difference, it’s worth it. The question I have is, will it make one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Quite frankly the guys who call out “sissy” probably don’t shoot heavy recoiling rifles. If it more comfortable to shoot you’ll shoot it better. I have a Decelerator on my 375 and it did make a noticeable difference.

That’s the strange thing, they shoot 416, 470 etc. They said the recoil force will remain the same and having done plenty of physics in my life, I concur. However I believe it should change the felt recoil. I want it to be more comfortable so I can shoot it more, and more comfortably.

Glad to hear your experience was positive. Was yours a 1” pad?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Yup. It’s the 1” pad send me a WhatsApp and I’ll send you some pics. 072 613five 301
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Recoil impulse stays the same. However, the thicker pad lengthens the time over which the impulse operates, and therefore the force reduces (impulse = force x time).
    Another thing that increases felt recoil is a length of pull that's too short. You're the expert on the fit of your rifle but a Decelerator will address this as well, if it is a problem.

In my opinion a softer recoil pad "spreads" the force at the shoulder over a wider area as is compresses removing point loading.

I would definitely fit it.

On the flip side, I have no Pachmayr on the .375 H&H, but I have never felt any recoil when shooting at a live target. It's only on the range that recoil is an issue.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

What's everyone's take on slip on pads? As effective as a fitted pad?

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    What's everyone's take on slip on pads? As effective as a fitted pad?
    I was about to say get a cheap slip-on pad and test with it on and off.

My dad had one, and it certainly made a difference with the shotgun and the Martini Henry, but I don't think we ever tried it on the .404.

On a side note, I have had the good fortune to fire three different .404's. One was a sweet kitty, one hit like a truck. And it wasn't weight, because the sweet kitty was the lightest of the three. None of them had high-tech recoil reducers or muzzle brakes, it was purely stock design.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast