Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Efficacy of a recoil pad.

The "pigs back" is more commonly referred to as the Mannlicher or European style stock.

I despise them as they have no place in the modern rifle fitted with a scope which exacerbate the gap in the cheek weld. Iron sights, a different thing entirely.

My experience is different to Heath's. The recoil vector of a dropped comb is rather different to that of a direct and straight stock. Effectively the barrel of a Mannlicher is circa 1" odd above the normal barrel height with a straight stock. This diverts some of the recoil force upwards rather than predominately to the rear. This results in sometimes a nasty barrel lift, and in the case of my 30-06 a kick up and to left.

Both my CZ's with the Mannlicher style stocks have comb raisers simply to get a decent cheek weld. The recoil vector remains unaffected however.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

My 404 has the CZ Hogback stock. Has a thick heavy barrel of 26 inches from Truvelo. Also a Quicksilver type recoil reducer in the stock. Recoil is not a problem. The LOP was too long for me (bought an used rifle) though. It is currently at a gunsmith. He is trimming the hogback, straightening the stock a bit and changing the angle of the shoulder pad and whilst busy fitting a Pachmayer one for me. Because of shortening the LOP all the above van be done. It will still not be a custom fitted stock, but for my working needs and what I want to spend on the rifle should be helpfull. I like a decent cheeck weld on all of my rifles as it improves my accuracy a lot, especially when shooting off-hand. I will get something soft to attach to the stock if the "hog back" gets too low after completion. To "remember" recoil is not really possible, so I doubt I will be able to supply a "before and after" opinion. This job is not being done for the recoils sake but for LOP and maybe that "ugly" hogs back will look better afterwards. That said, 404 recoil vs 450 recoil is not really in the same class IMO. Maybe ask your gusmith if he can alter your stock?

User

I should perhaps have stated. It has the straight, American Style stock and came with a Mercury recoil tube. That has been something that always interested me, the fact that the 416 (and I think even 375) barrel profile remained exactly the same throughout the CZ’s. I have spoken to my gunsmith and he is almost done with the oil feeding job. This would mean him needing to start again and risking the opportunity of having the rifle ready for my dads buff hunt in 4 weeks. I have however chatted to him and will look into doing it at the end of the season I think it is something I will do as I don’t plan on ever getting rid of the rifle.

User

IMG_4518.jpg

The rifle in question. Hoping to see a massive difference in the stock soon.

Adie
    The question begs to be asked.
    What animal are you going to shoot?
    How many?
    Application as to guiding?
    Culling?
    If it is just a one off Buffalo or Elephant hunt.
    I would not change anything.
    Target shooting? Then do all the mods you need.
    When long grass gets hectic and you have to stop any angry creature.
    Believe you me you will not feel the recoil.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adie View Post
    IMG_4518.jpg

The rifle in question. Hoping to see a massive difference in the stock soon.
    That looks like a Pachmayr Decelerator already fitted?

Who did the barrel band for you?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    Adie
    The question begs to be asked.
    What animal are you going to shoot?
    How many?
    Application as to guiding?
    Culling?
    If it is just a one off Buffalo or Elephant hunt.
    I would not change anything.
    Target shooting? Then do all the mods you need.
    When long grass gets hectic and you have to stop any angry creature.
    Believe you me you will not feel the recoil.

I bought the 450 to hunt dangerous game but also PG if I can. The scope is on quick detach mounts and when I backup Buffalo it will come off. I want to be able to use it to hunt PG should the opportunity arrive. Kudu, BWB etc. I don’t want it to be a safe queen bar the few DG opportunities I may get. I am not a PH, and don’t see it ever being my profession. I would like to eventually hunt the Big Five but since I’m a young engineer, there is still a while till this will be realized.

In the moment one definitely does not feel it. I 100% agree, but I think making it easier to shoot will make me a more proficient hunter and reduce my chance of error.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    That looks like a Pachmayr Decelerator already fitted?

Who did the barrel band for you?
    It is a Silvers recoil pad. The pachmayer looks similar. This one is however rock hard. The standard CZ550 pad is 10x softer. I really like the colour.

My usual gunsmith Alan Henry did it. He is a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    AdieWhen long grass gets hectic and you have to stop any angry creature. Believe you me you will not feel the recoil.
    Yip, focus is an amazing recoil pad .

To the OP, as the rifle will predominately be used in the standing position from what I can gather, shooting stance also contributes massively to recoil. I watch in horror in YouTube video's as people stand flat footed, and yes even leaning slightly back as they fire off DG caliber's, with the obvious results.

You probably already know this already but by standing sideways to the target, kinking your left knee and leaning forward into the shot allows your body to act as a natural shock absorber. When the shot is fired, allow the recoil to push your body back gently as you absorb the recoil in a much more controlled manner. This shooting stance also eliminates being off balance from the recoil and the body will quickly settle into the forward leaning position for the next shot. Another benefit is that this stance reduces muzzle rise so the barrel stays closer to target. Practice this at the range, it quickly becomes habit as it is ergonomically comfortable, and your body will naturally like it.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adie View Post
    I should perhaps have stated. It has the straight, American Style stock and came with a Mercury recoil tube. That has been something that always interested me, the fact that the 416 (and I think even 375) barrel profile remained exactly the same throughout the CZ’s. I have spoken to my gunsmith and he is almost done with the oil feeding job. This would mean him needing to start again and risking the opportunity of having the rifle ready for my dads buff hunt in 4 weeks. I have however chatted to him and will look into doing it at the end of the season I think it is something I will do as I don’t plan on ever getting rid of the rifle.
    It doesn't sound like much further work is needed then - stick the Pachmayr on and go for it. Out of interest, my Pachmayr is charcoal black not red - I guess they must come in both colours. It has "Decelerator" written in a small text box in the middle of the pad. I mention this so you know what to look for - otherwise you may just be buying a bog standard red Pachmayr butt-pad, which might not achieve much.

I wouldn't be hacking at the stock unless you and the 'smith really know what you're doing in terms of LOP etc. Chances are that the standard dimensions are just fine unless you're unusually short. Shooting technique is your best mechanism for coping with recoil.
    Check that the rifle has been fully bedded or you will be dealing with stock cracking at the tang.

How heavy is the rifle out of interest? My 416 with 1-6x scope + mercury recoil reducer etc (but excluding ammo or sling) is 4.85kg.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast