Default Got to shoot a couple of interesting rifles.

I am currently in the US on a marketing trip/vacation and had the opportunity to shoot a variety of rifles and handguns. Two of the more interesting rifles I got to shoot was a custom Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 govt and a Christensen Arms .375 H&H.

The Sharps came equipped with a period correct telescope and we shot it with Winchester factory loads with 300grHP bullets. This is a mild load, suitable for even the old Springfield trapdoor rifles and due to this and the weight of the rifle recoil was very mild. Accuracy was good at 100yds. The owner of the rifle has hunted antelope with it and has done target shooting out to 600m with hand loaded ammunition (I'm not sure of the bullet used). Antelope hunting is a lot like voorsit springbok hunting and for that purpose it is probably as good as a .45-70 can be but I would not like to carry it around while walk and stalk hunting, it weighs a ton and is excessively muzzle heavy.

The second rifle is a very modern Christensen Arms rifle in .375 H&H which a friend bought for an upcoming brown bear hunt in Alaska. It is light enough to carry all day, has a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and is equipped with a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 scope with a very nice triangular illuminated reticle. We shot it on a long range shooting range and I got to shoot it at 200, 300 and 500yds using Barnes Vortex ammo loaded with 300gr Barnes TSX bullets. It is accurate, I managed a 6" group at 500yds, and is nicely balanced. It is extremely loud, due to the muzzle brake, but recoil is similar to my .30-06.

Default Re: Got to shoot a couple of interesting rifles.

That Shiloh Sharps is very cool!

What is the action like on the Christensen Arms 375?

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    What is the action like on the Christensen Arms 375?
    Very similar to a Remington 700, but with a larger extractor. It would not really be my choice for a dangerous game rifle. Both my .416 rem mag and my .375 H&H have controlled feed actions, but to be honest, I have done a lot of hunting, including dangerous game hunting, with pushfeed rifles and have never had a problem.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    ...It is extremely loud, due to the muzzle brake, but recoil is similar to my .30-06.

Yes I remember now hearing the concussion from my lounge the other day...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    That Shiloh Sharps is very cool!
    Hear hear! Absolutely drool worthy.

User

Lucky bugger. I'm green!