User

Default Sharpening a 2 bladed knife

I bought this kitchen utility knife (actually 2, a large and medium knife) at a farm show a few years back. The only reason was the top blade slice tomato and onion rings easily for the perfect thickness for hamburger builds. As you can see it is a cheap make but using it for a few years now. The blades is sharpened with a single bevel (one side only).

How do I sharpen the blade. Specific the upper blade as my knife sharpening tool is double bevel device and does not fit in the gap to sharpen the top blade. I did noticed the rivet holding the 2 blades together at the front. One thought is removing the handle to access the top blade. It seems the tang is tapered to the rear and just bent over to prevent it from coming loose. I would have a locking pin fitted or a nut at the back for ease of removing the handle for future sharpening. How difficult would it be to drill a hole through the tang for a locking pin? I know some knifes are very difficult as stainless steel is used.

https://i.imgur.com/2uBnzLN.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/X6YeAxf.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Rr1jWtO.jpeg

User

Default Re: Sharpening a 2 bladed knife

Glue some fine grades of Emery paper to lollipop sticks or similar for the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Glue some fine grades of Emery paper to lollipop sticks or similar for the slot.
    Mostly this, or get a set of thin stones (depending on how thin you need, stones down to 4-5mm are available).

One can buy solid carbide drill bits that will drill through any steel tang in existence, but they are incredibly brittle and need to be used in a milling machine or a very sturdy drill press. Unless you are the master of steady hands, don't even try doing it by hand.

User

You can drill stainless with standard HSS drill bits. Just remember that the chisel point of a drill doesn't cut but just smooshes metal out of the way till it gets to the cutting lips which do cut. So in the bigger drill sizes (with bigger chisel points) it is better to first drill a pilot hole wirth a smaller drill (about the same diameter as the bigger drills chisel point). If you do this you will find drilling the hole easy.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I like this idea. Next time I'm visiting a dr I'll collect a couple of his wider "tonsil" inspection sticks. I think they are more sturdy and a bit wider.

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    You can drill stainless with standard HSS drill bits. Just remember that the chisel point of a drill doesn't cut but just smooshes metal out of the way till it gets to the cutting lips which do cut. So in the bigger drill sizes (with bigger chisel points) it is better to first drill a pilot hole wirth a smaller drill (about the same diameter as the bigger drills chisel point). If you do this you will find drilling the hole easy.
    I sincerely hope these knives are not that crappy that they are just made from un-hardened austenitic stainless steel. But I guess anything's possible.
    Proper hardened knife steel will give ordinary HSS drill bits a serious run for their money.
    This stuff is probably somewhere in the middle between the two extremes. A good TIN-coated HSS drill bit might well work.

User

Sharpening the slotted blade can possibly be done with a basic nail file.
    One side of file with coarse and second side with fine.

Alternatively, if you can get one, a tapered diamond "pencil" file will solve the problem.
    The problem is to find one and one that is suitable.

A needle file will also give you the first cut to put back a bevel before sharpening with the above.