Thread: SAPS Form 526

Default SAPS Form 526

We all know that SAPS likes to create millions of forms and boxes to tick. Today I saw a new one ie new to me. It is SAPS 526 and seems to be the application for permission to carry S15 firearms. I presume it is related to the habit of some officers of arresting persons carrying S15 firearms. Until that letter issued to all officers by the Free State Commissioner that Paul Oxley posted, which said, briefly, that a firearm owner is in lawful possession of any firearm for which he has a licence any place any time and therefore commits no offense. It nullifies the difference between S15 and 16. I don't see how SAPS 526 can be interpreted in any other way than SAPS considers it unlawful to carry a S15 firearm notwithstanding the Free State Commissioner's instruction.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: SAPS Form 526

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I don't see how SAPS 526 can be interpreted in any other way than SAPS considers it unlawful to carry a S15 firearm notwithstanding the Free State Commissioner's instruction.
    Notwithstanding the actual black-letter law!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

I can already hear the chorus warming their pipes:

"SAPS wouldn't have created the form if the law didn't require it", the apologists will proclaim.

Well, quite simply, a form does not impact on an Act. As we were reminded when we claimed that because the forms contemplated renewal of an expired license it was possible to renew an expired license. "The forms DO NOT make law!" we were told!

And that... is all.
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    We all know that SAPS likes to create millions of forms and boxes to tick. Today I saw a new one ie new to me. It is SAPS 526 and seems to be the application for permission to carry S15 firearms. I presume it is related to the habit of some officers of arresting persons carrying S15 firearms. Until that letter issued to all officers by the Free State Commissioner that Paul Oxley posted, which said, briefly, that a firearm owner is in lawful possession of any firearm for which he has a licence any place any time and therefore commits no offense. It nullifies the difference between S15 and 16. I don't see how SAPS 526 can be interpreted in any other way than SAPS considers it unlawful to carry a S15 firearm notwithstanding the Free State Commissioner's instruction.
    A SAPS 526 is not an application form. It is the SAPS printed Auth to possess a firearm on an approved licence.

Because they cannot get their shot together and print licences timeously

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    A SAPS 526 is not an application form. It is the SAPS printed Auth to possess a firearm on an approved licence.
    Indeed. It is the form and process that resulted from GOSA's court actions in 2021, and the instructions from the presiding officer for the State to manufacture a solution that resulted in less than a week in the Directive and the process.
    Unknown Barbarian