Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Advice on deciding between my next hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    If I had to buy an only rifle now, it'll probably be a 6.5CM (or another 6.5mm that's similar to it). My brother in law shoots one, and (if I remember his numbers correctly) it launches a 143gr bullet at 2,800 FPS, and it's not a very hot load. That's very close to .308 Win (with a 168gr bullet) levels of energy at the muzzle, and it exceeds the 308 at distance. It also generally shoots bullets with better ballistics, so it shoots flatter and maintains speed over distance better. It also recoils less.

The downside is expensive brass, but it makes up for that with less powder and cheaper bullets. I'm also sure it makes a perfectly capable small to medium game hunting cartridge, and while it won't be my first choice every time if I'm to go hunt Eland, if you do your part, it'll do the job just fine.
    Lot of sense in here.
    I reckon if you don't shoot Blue wildebeest and bigger game frequently and sometimes shoot Springbuck or other plains game, this might be a very good option.
    I have heard that 6.5CM ammo has been out-selling .308 for the last couple of years, thus case and bullet availability should be reasonable and it's also not a barrel-burner.

Just one thing to keep in mind: if you shoot the smaller calibers it might sometimes be necessary to pick your shots a little more carefully on larger game. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just a mind-set. Similar to hunting with a single-shot rifle tending to force one to focus a little bit harder.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    My brother in law shoots one, and (if I remember his numbers correctly) it launches a 143gr bullet at 2,800 FPS, and it's not a very hot load. That's very close to .308 Win (with a 168gr bullet) levels of energy at the muzzle, and it exceeds the 308 at distance. It also generally shoots bullets with better ballistics, so it shoots flatter and maintains speed over distance better. It also recoils less.
    If correct, this IS a very hot load and only achievable with one or two powders at close to max pressure in a standard 24" barrel.
    But most of what you say applies at 2700-2750 which is achievable without running on the limit.

Head stamp doesnt matter much here, both cartidges push bullets that will kill most things well. If you dont relaad the .308 might be a better option ITO factory ammo. Both are versatile. In reality anyhting fairly common between 6.5CM and .30-06 will serve you well. Something available that launches a 120-180gr bullet with sufficient impact velocity to expand and penetrate at the ranges you are willing and able to hit the vitals is going to kill most game animals wihtout fuss.

I have owned and/or shot various CZ ZKK and 550 rifles. I know they have a cult like following and while I like them I found them diffcult to scope low enough and keep good ergos with factory stocks. Scopes typically need to sit high on them to clear the bolt handles.

I have only handled CZ 600's, not shot them. The stock on the Alpha seems like a very good shape, albeit a bit flimsy in the forend. The lux looks good. They are already threaded which saves you money if you want to fit a muzzle device, unless that CZ is threaded already?

The triggers on the 600's are great out of the box. The 550's are generally good and can be tuned.

I say handle them both, think of the fit when scoped.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Regarding reloading: For general hunting purposes you don't need to save too long for Dillon equipment. A Lee single stage press and Lee dies etc is perfectly suitable.

Same as your rifle calibre choice. Both are suitable. With the same shot no animal will know the difference between bullets from a Dillon or Lee press.

For hunting accuracy a Lee setup is really more than good enough.

User

Since most comment there is hardly a difference between the 2 calibers and it can take down and medium and large game easily like Kudu and Wildebeest, maybe you should investigate which caliber is the better all rounder (if that will be your only hunting rifle) for small game included. Unfortunately I cannot give any input on this matter if you target small game also.

User

Saw this an Jaracal

.308 Remington 783 for R 11 500

https://www.jaracal.com/viewtopic.php?t=90362

User

I own a few 308's and in the early 2000' we started to play with Barnes Balistic. We found that between the 303, 308, 3006, 270 and 243 you could get all to shoot the same trajectory. Thus, your options are both exceptable.

As my 1 friend says I must get a 375HH. My answer is that the day I can afford to shoot something that I need a 375HH for, I will borrow a rifle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3