Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: RUGER MKII ammunition

The Ruger pistols generally dislike subsonic ammo.
    Standard velocity ammo feeds OK in most cases.
    High velocity ammo works very well. I see no problem with feeding them a few 100 000 HV rounds, except maybe the credit card limit.
    What they do not like is dirty chambers. Wax lubed lead bullet ammo quickly dirties the chamber and requires cleaning every 100 rounds or so.
    With plated bullets you can shoot a few hundred before cleaning becomes necessary. Signs of a dirty chamber are difficult extraction of an unfired round and incomplete chambering. If the round is not properly chambered, and you manage to fire it, the case will have a bulge just in front of the rim. In serious cases the case could also rupture. Watch out for the signs.

I find this discussion quite interesting.
    I have never noticed any type of ammo causing problems in my Mk1 Target Model. And I have most certainly fired subsonics in it.
    And while it is sensitive to dirt, it doesn't seem nearly as sensitive as some of the above poster's pistols. It has certainly consumed more than half a brick of Swartklip ammo (which tended to have very gummy lube) between cleanings. And most stoppages relating to getting dirty with mine has been attributable to the magazine and not the chamber. I have never seen it bulge a case due to out-of-battery detonation.

I wonder if they changed something in the chamber dimensions between the Mark 1 and the later marks?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    I find this discussion quite interesting.
    I have never noticed any type of ammo causing problems in my Mk1 Target Model. And I have most certainly fired subsonics in it.
    And while it is sensitive to dirt, it doesn't seem nearly as sensitive as some of the above poster's pistols. It has certainly consumed more than half a brick of Swartklip ammo (which tended to have very gummy lube) between cleanings. And most stoppages relating to getting dirty with mine has been attributable to the magazine and not the chamber. I have never seen it bulge a case due to out-of-battery detonation.

I wonder if they changed something in the chamber dimensions between the Mark 1 and the later marks?
    Interesting observations.

Yes, the case bulges from a dirty chamber are from my Mk11 Target model. I assume the chamber may be slightly tighter.

My Standard Pistol (pre Mk1) is less fussy about ammo and was fed Swartklip Standards for many years. The waxy lube did cause a few hang-ups in the mags, due to the blob of wax on the bullet tip dragging inside the front of the mag. I used to clean the tips and oil the mags to make it run smoothly. The Mk11 mags are made differently and feed much more reliably, even if not squeaky clean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2