Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fuel Consumption

I don't suppose many will be interested in fuel consumption considering the percentage of big vehicles I see daily. So this is written for the few who might be. My late wife and I had two Corollas for several years; a 1998 and a 2001. Being of an analytical nature, I logged the fuel consumption on several of our annual visits to Plett. Both cars were consistently a couple of decimal points either side of 7 litres per 100km, compared with a consistent 11 litres in suburban use. When we bought my present Diahatsu Sirion late 2019 I was keen to see what it would do out of curiosity but particularly because I thought it would be more economical than the Corollas. I never got to test it because we couldn't go to Plett in 2020 because of the Covid lockdown and I had no desire to visit Plett again after my wife's death in 2021. Consequently all my driving in the last four and a half years has been suburban. Consumption has been a consistent 9 litres which supported my belief that the car would be economical. But no opportunity to test a long trip until today. But before I describe that let me explain my reasoning about the car. I bought it not only because of its fine condition and low mileage but also because I was impressed with its 2500RPM at 100 km/h. That won't impress many guys but it was very long legged for a small 1.3 litre car built in 2006 and compared favourably with the Corolla's 3000RPM at that speed. The car has, as might be expected, an impressive cruise performance for such a small budget priced car. Anyhow, I reasoned that a 13% smaller engine running 16% slower than the Corolla should deliver about 75% of the Corolla's fuel consumption on a long run, not much more than 5 litres per 100. But then, I cautioned myself, it was probably unrealistic to expect it in practice. I expected more like 6 litres with which I would have been more than happy.

Today I got the chance to test it. Not a trip that I would normally consider long enough to be reliable, only 201km. However, the N2 at Somerset West is only 5km from my local petrol station and my destination only 3km off the N7 just south of Malmesbury, and the freeway is continuous N2 - R300 - N7, almost empty of traffic permitting an uninterrupted run at a steady 100km/h. I filled up at the start and at the end. The second refill was only 10.46 litres = an amazing 5.20 litres per 100km. 16 of the 201 km was similar to suburban driving so I calculated 1.44 litres for that. The remaining 9.02 litres for 185 km = an amazing 4.88 litres per 100. And that's an 18 year old car with carburettor which is less efficient than fuel injection. OK, it could be argued that a small error in refueling could skew the result especially for a quantity as small as 10.46 litres. But the diameter of the car's fuel intake is such that it would take something like 100mm error in depth to = 200ml of fuel. That's 2% for which the result would still be better than 5 per 100, and I don't see how 100mm error in filling is possible. I therefore believe that I have an accurate result and an amazing one for an old car. It makes me wonder what a more modern car like my friend Sue's new Atos would do.

User

Default Re: Fuel Consumption

Wife has a 5 door Ford Focus 2.0L TDCi (2014, so 10 years old now), down to Durban with family obeying speed limits, gets 5L/100KM. City driving it's at 6.2L/100km, which is impressive given the engine size and the fact it's a 5 door family car.

Bought my Daughter one of these new Suzuki Celerio's. The one Toyota calls the Vitz.

Average fuel consumption over all conditions mostly town driving is 17km/L. If you drive little longer distance which is maybe 20 to 30km in CPT(Goodwood to Durbanville)(Northern Suburbs to CPT Center)(Or Northern Suburbs to {Paarl or Stellenbosch). LOL its goes to 21 to max 22km/L.

Only has a 3Cylinder 1000cc. but handles highways very well and packed with features for its class.

Easily gets to 140-150km/h. Have not yet tried faster as still new.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Wife has a 5 door Ford Focus 2.0L TDCi (2014, so 10 years old now), down to Durban with family obeying speed limits, gets 5L/100KM. City driving it's at 6.2L/100km, which is impressive given the engine size and the fact it's a 5 door family car.
    My 2007 Focus TDCI did the same. 6L in town and 5 on the long road.

And it had a fantastic suspension. Excellent drive and fuel consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Flippin hell. Just used 36l/100km playing in the dunes with my 5.7 Hemi V8 Jeep.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Flippin hell. Just used 36l/100km playing in the dunes with my 5.7 Hemi V8 Jeep.
    Smile!

Olifant Tank = V 12 30 L engine. Fuel consumption 6 L/1 km (Yes, six liters per one kilometer)

That is very good for an older car Oom Dick. I can't afford a vehicle for commuting that is heavy on fuel. Just this morning I saw an add for a Pajero 3.5 Auto for a good price. But I know that the consumption must be that of a jetliner

Well my little Vespa LX150 Sprint does 36km/L.

I call it my Mid Life Crisis purchase.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Well my little Vespa LX150 Sprint does 36km/L.

I call it my Mid Life Crisis purchase.
    Did you at least consider a menoporsche?

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Did you at least consider a menoporsche?
    LOL. I went with the cheaper MenoItalian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast