Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default What would you like to see changed in the FCA?

Feroze suggested in another thread that we put down some ideas in writing to be put forward to representatives to be asked in the bi-weekly meetings.
    So please put some reasonable ideas down (and I know that scrap the FCA would be the first thing that would come up but we need to keep it real).

I believe a comprehensive list of requirements as to who qualifies for a firearm (whether it be for a SD licence, sporting etc) would help future applicants to be informed as to whether they will be successful or not right upfront.

Default Re: What would you like to see changed in the FCA?

1) The move away from a "needs" based licence to if you did the shotgun training you qualify for a shotgun. The motivations need to scrapped in favour of training is what I'm trying to say.

2) Divide the processing in 4 groups, SD, Dedicated, Hunting and Collectors. An experienced person to head each division, eg. someone who actually takes part in 3-gun should be doing the approvals, a hunter should be approving hunter rifles.

3) We should be able to for apply for more than one SD gun, I would like a compact weapon for daily carry and a full size service one for the house, excluding shotguns, I'm talking pistols here.

4) Mandatory training for DFO's, the process and requirements should be identical countrywide.

5) You should be able to apply to a weapon prior to partaking in the sport, joining sapsa and a letter from the committee should be sufficient motivation to apply for a semi auto rifle. This idea of having to borrow a rifle to compete to prove you need the rifle is just not working.

6) The should be time limits. In India you cannot have a pistol, but you can have a rifle. You are required to get police clearance, if the clearance does not come in 90 days the licence is issued anyway.

7) Civilian representation at all levels

Guys , any suggestions if you want us to take them forward need to be in the context of the existing act.
    Examples such as " what exactly is the criteria which determines a licence" and "what is sufficient motivation"
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Is "needs based" and the motivation requirement a permanent feature then?

User

If I can do my tax online, surely the bulk of the admin can be done online by the applicant as well? I'm confident I am fully capable to enter my contact details into an online form similar to SARS e-filing.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by overyde View Post
    I believe a comprehensive list of requirements as to who qualifies for a firearm (whether it be for a SD licence, sporting etc) would help future applicants to be informed as to whether they will be successful or not right upfront.
    Interestingly... that's already right at the top of JIQ's list. She says the system is being clogged up because folk who will NEVER be granted licenses keep applying anyway. EG folk with domestic violence orders against them...
    Last edited by Paul; 03-11-2010 at 18:43.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Have it scrapped and the office johnies do crime prevention work rather than get fat and contribute nothing to getting criminals off the street but harrass gunowners.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Interestingly... that's already right at the top of JIQ's list. She says the system is being clogged up because folk who will NEVER be granted licenses keep applying anyway. EG folk with domestic violence orders against them...
    Close to the top of my list is a regular Excel export of members per sport or hunting association, sent to the secretary of such a sport or hunting association, details of estimated approval dates, duration of app in the system, reasons for declining, etc
    This way a forum can be created where sporting associations can have regular e-mail contact with CFR, change priorities etc.
    Also barrel, calibre changes & imports can be confirmed and followed up...

This could create more confidence in legitimate sporting & hunting associations...
    Better the devil you know...

How about a system similar to the driver's licence and vehicle registration system?

Licence the person & not the firearm. If you are deemed to be competent to operate or own one firearm in a given category (like a motorcycle over 125cc, or a 16-wheeler), what possible rationale can there be for reasoning that you are not competent to operate or own any other? That way, only one application needs to be processed rather than multiples and registration is only about who owns what.

This approach would imply that the competency evaluation would take precidence & the licence application would be a formality thereafter, only for the purpose of the legalities related to ownership.

This approach would allow for a significantly streamlined application of the present FCA

User

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Licence the person & not the firearm.
    From your lips to FCR's ears!!
    IMO a simple system like this would sort out most issues. Once YOU are licenced and deemed competent (you're going to have to do the training to get it anyway), you go purchase your firearm, where the dealer logs the serial no to your licence electronically, have a 24hr/week/month cooling off period where the CFR checks to see you are still kosher, and hey presto, go back and pick up your firearm.
    Way too simple and efficient I suppose, but here's hoping.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast