User

Default Carcas length SA Game - walk-in fridge

Hi

I have a friend who is installing a walk-in fridge. He wants to know how high the rail should be to prevent the carcass touching the floor. The largest game would probably be Kudu and Blue wildebeest.

Regards

User

Default Re: Carcas length SA Game - walk-in fridge

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    Hi

I have a friend who is installing a walk-in fridge. He wants to know how high the rail should be to prevent the carcass touching the floor. The largest game would probably be Kudu and Blue wildebeest.

Regards
    Make the height of the rail arm length height so that you can easily hook a meat hook onto the rail. For bigger carcasses like kudu and wildebeest, you'd have to quarter or halve the carcass, so the hind quarter will be on a hook and the forequarter will be on a hook then nothing is touching or dragging on the floor. It also depends if you are using a roller hook or a skid hook. I'd go about 2m to 2,1m for a skid hook.

Unless you want to go industrial and use a hoist like they do in an abattoir?

Most walk in fridges are 2.4 high, I'd go the 2.3/2.35 and just use a second hook the drop the carcass if needed.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Make the height of the rail arm length height so that you can easily hook a meat hook onto the rail. For bigger
    Seen a setup with 3 hooks of different heights on every hanger for small to large carcasses for easy of hookup and attached large carcass on top hook preventing them touching the floor

User

What about making a couple of different lengths of hooks. Can you bend your own hooks from a Stainless roundbar?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Make it 2 - 2,5 m and have extra hooks to hook them together when needed. Hooking by first needing to get on a step or ladder and stretching or having one person on the step and another on the floor to get it hooked is a sure way of getting a finger or hand pinched between the hook and rail or other injuries.

Just a note: An Impala carcass is longer than the quarters of an Eland. The big ones gets quartered when slaughtering. A half Kudu or Eland or BWB is heavy to handle further and when butchering is in any case going to get quartered, so do it from scratch.

I have a 2 m and 2,5 m frame in my cold room. The 2 m one is used the most and even 300 kg beef carcasses, quartered, is not touching ground.

User

Mine is 2150mm and just long enough. But if you are tall and strong like Eben Etsebeth than you can make it higher. The height is not so much about the length of the animal, but the ease of use.