Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Another case of play silly games.

It's the story of the new regime in microcosm. When you have your own way for long enough you get high on your own supply and completely lose touch with reality.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Yes, the dildo of consequences NEVER arrives lubricated.
    I fixed it for you

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Yes, the dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubricated.
    This made my day. Thank you! Please be aware that I will be recycling it shamelessly.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense. The big boss lady thought she was still the boss.
    You, me, we... have trained people not to consider the consequences of their actions. When they're broke we give them charity. When they're hungry we feed them. When they're stoopid we help them. When they get sick we give them free medicine. When they have more kids than they can afford to feed we give them grants. When they fail exams we give them another chance.

We make laws to force people to wear seatbelts, and wear helmets when they ride bikes. WE are the nanny state and the school prefects. We need to stop.

Give evolution a chance!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    You, me, we... have trained people not to consider the consequences of their actions. When they're broke we give them charity. When they're hungry we feed them. When they're stoopid we help them. When they get sick we give them free medicine. When they have more kids than they can afford to feed we give them grants. When they fail exams we give them another chance.

We make laws to force people to wear seatbelts, and wear helmets when they ride bikes. WE are the nanny state and the school prefects. We need to stop.

Give evolution a chance!

In my line of work I have to engineer for stupidity.
    Take this with a pinch of salt and some pepper:
    The "best " somebody can do at certain companies is to die at work. Then the whole family is well sorted and educated because the only breadwinner is no more and the company will provide.

User

To Paul's comment above, hear hear! Incentivizing irrational behaviour for a generation or two has very negative consequences as we are seeing. You do that by shielding people from its consequences so that they live a delusion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    In my line of work I have to engineer for stupidity.
    Take this with a pinch of salt and some pepper:
    The "best " somebody can do at certain companies is to die at work. Then the whole family is well sorted and educated because the only breadwinner is no more and the company will provide.
    My old man was mid management at a large steel producer in the Vaal.
    The amount of people that got seriously hurt / killed by other people's stupidity / incompetence , was mind boggling.

The story that I remember well is a guy that was using a large hammer at height. Instead of putting his hammer on his tool belt, he puts it on the edge of a platform he is busy with. Moves around, kicks the hammer off, falls down, lands on someone's head who was walking, and goes through their helmet, and kills the guy. The poor oke did nothing wrong, and he paid the price.

Oh and that SHE training, was a CYA move to help them reject liability on work place injuries. But everyone only cared about the braai that happened after the training....

User

I owned a network installation business at a stage. Found it all but impossible to get the staff to use any safety gear whatever. Was advised to write up the procedures they were expected to follow, conduct training and then have 'evidence' of compliance on every job card that they had to sign off to cover my arse. I could never understand why someone would choose to run a grinder without eye pro or work 15 to 20m up in the trusses of a warehouse without a harness. I guess stupid comes in various flavours.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I owned a network installation business at a stage. Found it all but impossible to get the staff to use any safety gear whatever. Was advised to write up the procedures they were expected to follow, conduct training and then have 'evidence' of compliance on every job card that they had to sign off to cover my arse. I could never understand why someone would choose to run a grinder without eye pro or work 15 to 20m up in the trusses of a warehouse without a harness. I guess stupid comes in various flavours.
    So when I still had to cut my own grass and use a weedeater, I would wear safety googles. One neighbour's asked me if I was scared and if I was a Moffie .my reply was that I'm not going to be very useful to anyone if I lose my eyesight.

A few weeks later, the same clown was using a grinder and it shattered. A peice of the blade went into his eye. He barely kept his eye.

There is this weird cultural thing that PPE makes you soft.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    My old man was mid management at a large steel producer in the Vaal.
    The amount of people that got seriously hurt / killed by other people's stupidity / incompetence , was mind boggling.

The story that I remember well is a guy that was using a large hammer at height. Instead of putting his hammer on his tool belt, he puts it on the edge of a platform he is busy with. Moves around, kicks the hammer off, falls down, lands on someone's head who was walking, and goes through their helmet, and kills the guy. The poor oke did nothing wrong, and he paid the price.

Oh and that SHE training, was a CYA move to help them reject liability on work place injuries. But everyone only cared about the braai that happened after the training....
    Perhaps I know him...

Braai was important. It happened a lot in that place :)

Lots of people got killed there over the years. Sometimes through their own stupidity....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast