User

Default Mossberg \ Maverick front sling stud

So I have a Maverick 88 I want to add a sling to.
    The magtube to barrel mounting block ( No idea what you would call it), has been drilled and tapped.

I dont think this is factory, but i want to reuse this hole for a sling mount.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 14.07.54.jpg

The only threaded studs I can find locally are for wood /synthetic stocks, or a machine screw that is probably 2 inches long.
    I have no idea what thread size this is, if its metric or imperial.

Im happy to buy the very long machine screw version if the thread is correct, and then just dremel it shorter.

51A+XptCUcL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

The only concern is that the threaded portion does not go all the way to the shoulder of the stud, and that i will not get good thread engagement.

The below is probably ideal and very possibly the correct type, but cant find anything locally.
    1-4-inch-Stud.jpg
    Anyone have some insights into the above issue?
    I would preferably like not to drill any more holes, or drill the retention bolt.

Default Re: Mossberg \ Maverick front sling stud

How deep is your threaded hole?
    It is basically impossible to cut a thread al the way to a shoulder. There is always some gap. The manufacturing method determines what that gap is, but it will probably never be less than about 1/2 turn on a thread of this size. The shank can be under-cut to allow it to screw down all the way to the shoulder, or the hole can be counter-sunk to achieve the same effect, or a washer can be used.

Now to actually solving your problem:
    If you can get the long one you showed at a reasonable price, you can measure the thread (I had some and I think they were M3 or M4), and buy a die nut, use that to extend the thread (it will get very close to the shoulder) and then trim it to length.

If that is not an option, I could probably make you one.

User

$6.99 on Midway.

Find someone in the USA coming to SA soon.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    How deep is your threaded hole?
    It is basically impossible to cut a thread al the way to a shoulder. There is always some gap. The manufacturing method determines what that gap is, but it will probably never be less than about 1/2 turn on a thread of this size. The shank can be under-cut to allow it to screw down all the way to the shoulder, or the hole can be counter-sunk to achieve the same effect, or a washer can be used.

Now to actually solving your problem:
    If you can get the long one you showed at a reasonable price, you can measure the thread (I had some and I think they were M3 or M4), and buy a die nut, use that to extend the thread (it will get very close to the shoulder) and then trim it to length.

If that is not an option, I could probably make you one.
    Interesting points you raise. I'll start off with getting a few small metric bolts and see if any of them off them fit the thread.

Based on that, will turn go and see if the stud at a gunshop fits that same thread size nut.

A cheap China die set might work to extend threads. Thanks for the ideas.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    $6.99 on Midway.

Find someone in the USA coming to SA soon.
    Ironically have a friend that just went, but only coming back next year lol

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

My Maverick has a factory drilled and tapped hole in the cap/mag tube "bolt." I have one of those long type studs like on your photo. I have turned the nut on it around to have the flat surface facing the other way than on the photo, screwed the stud in as fas as possible until the nut touched and then tightened the nut. Also applied retaining compound. It works for me. I had it in my spares box and the thread fitted so I used it.

User

So LA Arms in Pretoria had a variety of studs. Bought a set that threads perfectly into the existing thread.
    Not sure what thread size it is, but i suspect its an Imperial size.

M4 fine thread was way too loose, and M5 was just too tight.

Only thing i need to do is cut off a few threads as its slightly too long, but a hacksaw or dremel will make quick work of this.