Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: .458 Express

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default .458 Express

Hello fellow hunters,

I would like to get a .458 Express, preferably on a ZKK 602 action.
    I would also buy a .458 win mag and have it converted to Express.

So far the plan.

Can somebody possibly mail me the reasoning of Prof Badenhorst, why he developped this calibre and what the shortcomings of the 458 Lott are.

Any advice, opinions, experiences are welcome.

Cheers, B.W.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: .458 Express

A thread worth following. Please share here of you can.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bwana wali View Post
    Hello fellow hunters,

I would like to get a .458 Express, preferably on a ZKK 602 action.
    I would also buy a .458 win mag and have it converted to Express.

So far the plan.

Can somebody possibly mail me the reasoning of Prof Badenhorst, why he developped this calibre and what the shortcomings of the 458 Lott are.

Any advice, opinions, experiences are welcome.

Cheers, B.W.
    I shoot a 458 Express.

The idea behind Prof was, to relieve pressure that one gets with a hot 458 Lott load if your hunting like say the Zambezi valley where temperatures gets high.
    The little extra case capacity relieves the pressure and prevents the cases from sticking to chamber walls that helps with extraction.

He also decided to use the 3” case as to take full advantage of the 602 magazine length.

I shoot a 500gr at 2250fps without powder compression where a Lott would start compressing the powder.

Problem is, now that PMP is no longer with us.
    Cases are becoming a problem.

One can only get Bertram and I fount that after 3 firings the primers are becoming loose which I never had with PMP.

Getting that long cartridge to feed perfectly under stressful conditions need someone that knows what they are doing and as far as I know, Daniel Joubert that did mine no longer does gunsmithing (what I’ve heard and not fact)

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by 458Exp View Post
    I shoot a 458 Express.

The idea behind Prof was, to relieve pressure that one gets with a hot 458 Lott load if your hunting like say the Zambezi valley where temperatures gets high.
    The little extra case capacity relieves the pressure and prevents the cases from sticking to chamber walls that helps with extraction.

He also decided to use the 3” case as to take full advantage of the 602 magazine length.

I shoot a 500gr at 2250fps without powder compression where a Lott would start compressing the powder.

Problem is, now that PMP is no longer with us.
    Cases are becoming a problem.

One can only get Bertram and I fount that after 3 firings the primers are becoming loose which I never had with PMP.

Getting that long cartridge to feed perfectly under stressful conditions need someone that knows what they are doing and as far as I know, Daniel Joubert that did mine no longer does gunsmithing (what I’ve heard and not fact)
    Would Hansie Minnaar of Stewart Bullets not be able to make cases?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Hello 458Exp,
    Thanks for your answer.
    The reasons as you outline them I was roughly familiar with. I had read another old fred here, wher someone referrred to a lengthy explanation by Prof Badenhorst himself. I thought maybe someone still has this document.
    I did not realize, that the brass has become a problem. I am not an experienced reloader, so this might be a bit of a hindrance for me.
    I do not think though, that "short stroking" would be a problem for me, since I am used to the .416 Rigby.
    I will keep your advice in mind, thank you.

Cheers, B.W.

User

As i understand the reasons in the previous post why not stick with a LOTT ?

If you want more case capacity than offered by the Lott, either the .450 Rigby or the .460 Weatherby magnum will work in the ZKK 602 action. Cases and factory ammunition is available, although expensive.

But, do you really need more velocity than the .458 Lott can offer?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    If you want more case capacity than offered by the Lott, either the .450 Rigby or the .460 Weatherby magnum will work in the ZKK 602 action. Cases and factory ammunition is available, although expensive.

But, do you really need more velocity than the .458 Lott can offer?
    something I have learned, speed and big bullets are not fun to shoot, my 458 Lott shoots a 450g and is actually tame for a Lott .
    I don’t wish to change the OP mind but the Lott is a great stopper with lots of accessories available, respectfully the issue of powder over heating was with older powders , modern powder has come a long way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    something I have learned, speed and big bullets are not fun to shoot, my 458 Lott shoots a 450g and is actually tame for a Lott .
    I don’t wish to change the OP mind but the Lott is a great stopper with lots of accessories available, respectfully the issue of powder over heating was with older powders , modern powder has come a long way.
    My friend owns a .500NE that he loads for. As it is a double he needs to tinker a bit to get it to regulate well. His go-to load produces velocities of 2050FPS with a 570gr projectile for 5300 Ft/Lbs of muzzle energy or just about the same as a 500gr .458 bullet shot at 2200FPS which is relatively easy to get from the Lott (I know because I own a .458 Lott). I very much doubt either of the above combinations would be considered borderline or inadequate for any animal roaming earth.

I agree with you on speed and big bullets. The "full bore" 500gr loads going 2200FPS in my rifle are pretty intense. I stop at between 4 and 5 rounds from shooting sticks. For range plinking I load 350gr bullets at about the same velocity and the difference in recoil is remarkable.

Good morning Gentlemen,

I am most positively surprised about the very intensive feed back. Thank you to all of you!
    I cannot go into much detail at the moment, will answer in detail probably tonight.

Until then, G.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast