User

Default Martini Henry .577

About 45 years ago there was an incentive in Botswana whereby a citizen could hand in there old Martini Henry's and other black powder rifles at Central Arms (gov org) and in lieu of this be issued with a license for a modern rifle to be purchased. The drive behind this was among other things the scarcity (couldn't get) of ammunition and the large amount of game including buffalo etc being wounded.
    To this end 100's of these Old Timers landed on heaps at the offices of Central Arms. My dad applied to purchase some of these rifles as a nicety and did I help climb onto these heaps of rifles to pick a few good ones.
    I have had them licensed in SA and wonder if they are worth anything?
    Who would be a knowledgeable person to talk to?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Martini Henry .577

In general you can look at between 2 and 7K for a Martini depending on condition and markings etc
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

The model and date are also relevant. Some models are rarer than others and dates prior to 1879 are supposedly "Zulu War Rifles" which pushes value. Ex-military rifles usually fetch higher prices than commercials. If still visible, regimental markings are likewise of importance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
    Who would be a knowledgeable person to talk to?
    You could try Classic Arms in Witbank.

Are your rifles military configuration or are they sporters?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Terrylee View Post
    The model and date are also relevant. Some models are rarer than others and dates prior to 1879 are supposedly "Zulu War Rifles" which pushes value. Ex-military rifles usually fetch higher prices than commercials. If still visible, regimental markings are likewise of importance.
    Hi, I can send you some pictures which are to large to post on here. I have whatsapp 0722005226

User

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
    Hi, I can send you some pictures which are to large to post on here. I have whatsapp 0722005226
    By all means send some photos, but rather by email. Will need (1) Rifle full length, (2) All metal markings on action & knoxform and (3) Close-up of any markings in wood on right rear of butt. (willson.terence@gmail.com)