Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default GAS GEYSER RECOMMENDATIONS

Greetings GS,

What make / model of gas-fired geyser are you using for your domestic hot water requirements?

I have a 15-year old Bosch that has given me nothing but great use, except that it seems to be using more and more gas as time goes by.

Having found no leaks on the piping, I suspect that a more modern, and (hopefully more efficient) unit might solve my gas-consumption problem.

The Dewhot brand was recommended to me a few years ago, but not sure what else is worth considering in the mid-price range.

User

Default Re: GAS GEYSER RECOMMENDATIONS

Sounds like those with digital temp controllers are better. But if it works off mains 220v then you are screwed during loadshitting except if you have alternatives in place.

Have you tried to have your current unit serviced maybe its just sooted up?

Otherwise have a look on powerforum.co.za under the water heating header, lots of firsthand info available there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Sounds like those with digital temp controllers are better. But if it works off mains 220v then you are screwed during loadshitting except if you have alternatives in place.

Have you tried to have your current unit serviced maybe its just sooted up?

Otherwise have a look on powerforum.co.za under the water heating header, lots of firsthand info available there.
    Thanks, Vaal - I have stripped the whole thing down and decarboned the heat exchanger core, and the water temp increased, but gas comsumption stayed the same (probably burner related).

Will check out powerforum.

User

I've just installed a Bosch constant temp gas geyser and i'm very happy with it so far. It works off batteries.

User

For my interest, why the decision to go with gas rather than solar?

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    For my interest, why the decision to go with gas rather than solar?
    30-year old design / construction that did not consider solar at the time. Gas geyser chosen at time due to lack of ceiling space, location options, for electric.

User

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    30-year old design / construction that did not consider solar at the time. Gas geyser chosen at time due to lack of ceiling space, location options, for electric.
    Thanks, makes sense. We might still have had the cheapest electricity in the world 30 years back so PV and solar water heating weren't much of a consideration.

User

I've had a 20l/m TotalGas unit since 2018. The solenoid failed last year, needed to be replaced. The igniter works from two of those huge AA batteries, no 220v needed. It's not a bad unit, and spares are available.

User

Have a Dewhot 16liter gasgeyser, all digital. Runs of two batteries

User

My personal problem with gas: NERSA control the price of gas, petrol, electricity etc. They will not allow one or the other to become too cheap, compared to the other.
    If you have a pv system rather spend this money on more panels then you can use pv to heat water, power the house etc. I personally will not go for a dedicated pv water heating system because if the water is hot the pv becomes "useless".
    I started with a solar geyser and later went full pv.

If the solar geyser expires I will not replace it but rather go back to a normal and run it off the pv system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast