User

Default Range Finder Scope

Morning all.

Looking for advice on a scope with a built in range finder.

Currently using a Nightforce scope, really is tremendous, but I like to dial for distance and one loses time with the range finder.

Looking to replace with a built in range finder.

Who recommends what?

Thanks. LLTHB.

User

Default Re: Range Finder Scope

My friend have a Burris eliminator 3 that works well. The new one Model 6 is apparently very good. But with them you don't need to dial.

User

You options are the Burris Eliminator or Swarovski DS. Haven't used the Burris, but have shot with a friend's rifle with a DS on.

The DS works very well, relatively simple to set up. Zeroing the scope is a bit of a fiddle compared to conventional turrets. It is a BIG, HEAVY scope!

Have heard a few complaints about setting op the older Eliminators, seems the Gen 6 is a similar to the DS in terms of setup. From pictures, looks smaller than DS and weight is similar to Nightforce SHV 5-20x56.

None of these are cheap, DS is just over R80K and needs 40mm rings. Burris Gen 6 is around R50K.

Alternative is the Sig BDX range, where scope and rangefinder are connected with Bluetooth, slightly cheaper than Eliminator or DS. Last prices I saw where about R30k for entry scope and rangefinder, going up to R50k for higher end scopes. Use range finder as normal, aiming dot appears on the reticle in the scope with the elevation adjustment.

To me personally, the DS or Eliminator make more sense, as the range finding "accuracy" is much better. You are pinpointing the area to be ranged with your reticle, and rifle is more stable over whatever rest you are using.

User

Thank you. this is the sort of info I am looking for.

Appreciated. Cheers.

Default Range Finder Scope

If you can try using the product before you buy. Or at least look through it. A mate bought the sig scope/rangefinder option. The glass was very disappointing, reticle very fat. The worst part was the dot that moves up and down is in a “plastic” filament which was very clear to see and off putting. My mate flogged it a week later.

Edit: in terms of functionality it worked though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to add another thought for you. Remember the scopes you are considering are electronic and use batteries. These things fail at the worst times!

The same mate lost an opportunity at a huge kudu bull standing plankdwars at about 80m. His scope was zeroed at 100m. However the red dot did not come on, but he was so “trained” on this dot that he didn’t take the shot. He could have just used his cross hairs….bull didn’t hang around for a change of battery

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Can add the same. This weekend, hunting Black Wildebeest, a member of another party on the same property had his Burris to "die on him". He had to travel quite a distance to go fetch batteries as he forgot the spares at home.

User

I have the Burris. Once setup they work very well.