User

Default Peregrine vs Axe

Hi. Peregrine vs Axe. Does anyone have experience with both bullets to the extent where they can compare the difference between them. Peregrine are according to what I understand, established and very popular, although a bit on the expensive side. They cater for competition, long distance and hunting. Axe are supposedly the new kid on the block. Becoming quite popular with good groupings. They currently concentrate mostly on hunting bullets but are exploring long distance bullets. Informed input would be most appreciated.

Sent from my 2312DRA50G using Tapatalk

Default Re: Peregrine vs Axe

I only have limited experience, so take everything as such.

I love everything about the peregrine VLR4, the look, the design that went into it, even the neat packaging where every individual bullet is placed in foam. But for the life of me i can't get precision out of them. I never achieved clover leaves, from my 6.5CM or 300WSM. I worked with Alliwyn (CEO), JD Els (Reloading Guru) and GRT/Quick Load. No luck! We have written it off to me being at Sea Level.

Groupings were however satisfactory for hunting purposes and i have successfully hunted with them. Another advantage, they are from gilding metal and therefore switching between normal cup and core and the peregrines does not need barrel cleaning beforehand.

This year my brother in law sent me some Viper Plains Supreme (dont know how or if they compare to Axe bullets?) They are however turned from pure copper with drive bands. i loaded up 3 different loads for my 300 WSM. All 3 loads had 2 shots touching with one shot nearly touching. After crunching the results in GRT i have clover leaf precision.

I have to date only shot 4 animals with them, all one shot kills, the kudu however was a little worrying as the bullet did not exit even though it did not hit large bone. It was on the opposite side under the skin. I have a feeling after loosing its petals it started tumbling, just a theory though.

However they are half the price of peregrines, i therefore use them for target and hunting

User

My experience - never achieved great groups with Peregrine but that could be the usual combo of reloader/operator inadequacy. They've always performed well on game for me.

Moderate amount of experience with Viper and Balistix - they seems to perform very similarly. Decent grouping so far, especially with Balistix.
    Performance on game has been fine thus far.

I imagine Axe is very much in the same category as Viper and Balistix if one compares the designs. I don't see value in the premium for Peregrine (or Barnes) over the other local monos.

User

I'm getting 3 holes cutting each other at 100m in my 243 with peregrine bullets at sea level. My 300wm groups well enough for hunting and i left the load there.

Peregrine have got pricey, but so have all the bullets. I don't have experience with Axe, but the support from peregrine is worth its weight in gold. I don't know many companies that would go out of their way to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I'm getting 3 holes cutting each other at 100m in my 243 with peregrine bullets at sea level. My 300wm groups well enough for hunting and i left the load there.

Peregrine have got pricey, but so have all the bullets. I don't have experience with Axe, but the support from peregrine is worth its weight in gold. I don't know many companies that would go out of their way to help you.
    I agree 100% with Ady. The support i got from peregrine was above and beyond. Unfortunately i can’t say the same about Viper. I only received load data 2 weeks after asking. But their bullets work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I must say even though I haven't yet used axe bullets that I am part off there watsup group.
    And the feedback from happy clients and the support from the owner/manufacturer is absolute brilliant.
    Groupings in the 0.3" is not uncommon and also weight retention and bullet performance is excellent.
    I for one will definitely get myself a a 400gr 404 as soon as my current steward 400gr are finished.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I only have experience in Peregrines online shop. Its awfull. The bullets I have some in 6.5 mm not loaded yet, but it is a very neat product on the eye. They stand on my bedside table so that I can look at them often. I like perfectly machined "stuff" and they fit in. VLR4 looks best.

Hope to get the loads developed next week to report back with non useless info.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I only have experience in Peregrines online shop. Its awfull. The bullets I have some in 6.5 mm not loaded yet, but it is a very neat product on the eye. They stand on my bedside table so that I can look at them often. I like perfectly machined "stuff" and they fit in. VLR4 looks best.

Hope to get the loads developed next week to report back with non useless info.
    Their reloading data and optimum load is very useful

User

I tried a variety of rounds in my 3006, and a friend suggested I try some VLR4's for hunting. I run the 167gn at 2720fps out of a standard Howa 22" barrel, and they're happy to group around 3/4", BUT what I love is that my cold bore, and the next shot, are always nearly touching. The speed is enough and I've harvester BWB, Gemsbok etc. with the rounds. I bought 250 of them from a forum member here, so have enough for hunting.

I also use their 216gn Glider in my 300PRC, but they're not grouping like they should. We eventually figured out the problem, so I'll do some more testing soon. JD has been super helpful, even offering for me to bring the 300PRC to them. Unlike Berger and many of the other bullets, I know we can find these here, so happy to continue using them.