Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Carrying at the workplace

Hi guys, ive been a member for a while now, but this will be my first post. I am still waiting for a new license for two guns (one is for SD).

What I want to know, is what the laws are if my employer states that I am not allowed to bring a firearm into my workplace. Surely they cannot prohibit me from doing this UNLESS I have agreed to it when signing my employment contract (which wasnt part of the contract at all)? And should they provide me with a safe place to store it if I did consent to not carrying in the building?

To my knowledge (and this is not expert legal knowledge, simply common sense and hearsay), they cannot simply declare any place as "gun-free" by just posting a sign or saying it is so and that it has to be published in a gazette if that place was declared as gun-free (and thus illegal to carry a gun there).

This is quite a big issue for me and any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jaco
    Last edited by blesbok; 05-11-2010 at 22:26. Reason: typ-o

User

Default Re: Carrying at the workplace

I have had employment contract that stated that carrying a firearm was prohibited. I still carried everyday.

Just putting up a sign doesn't a gun free zone make. They need to follow the procedure.

User

I also worked in an NPE for a long time. Just gave me extra motivation to carry well concealed

As has been said, there is a difference between a gun-free zone as contemplated in the act and a place where firearms are prohibited. The former prescribes criminal penalties for carrying, the latter does not.

Your employer may excercise it's right to prohibit you carrying at work. Just like they can prohibit you from coming to work wearing a santa outfit. That you have or haven't agreed to it is irrelevant. It's your employer's property, it gets to say who and what comes onto it. Just like you do with your home.

They don't have to provide you with shit.

That said, don't ask, don't tell. Unless youre a stripper you can carry concealed.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Unless youre a stripper you can carry concealed.
    I am SO staying far away from this thread...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Thread Hi-Jack: I just came back from Thailand - The strippers I saw could most definately carry concealed.....

@ Paul - Wish I has your self control.

User

So Paul.... what happened to your usual shorty-pants-appearance on Saturday at JDPC League?
    Too much self-control?

B3

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by B3 View Post
    So Paul.... what happened to your usual shorty-pants-appearance on Saturday at JDPC League?
    Too much self-control?
    B3
    Shot both Saturday and Sunday last week and needed to attend a function on Saturday at 15h00. JDPC shoots only get started at about midday so there was no way I was going to be able to finish early enough to make my other appointment.

Shooting this Saturday at CDPC though...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Blesbok,

Back to the intended objective of the thread...

I made a really big stink about this issue when I was "transferred" to another employer via a outsourcing deal - and they are so pro-GFSA you cannot believe it.

When I realised I am never going to win this one and 99% of the people onsite will not recognise a bad concealed carry, I firstly let a "forget" period go by while I started to optimise my CC. It has been 2 yrs since and no-one has noticed. Not even the few shooter orientated peoples at work. Due to historical communication from the Security department (which in my view I will dearly need in a disciplinary should I be discovered), I do unload in my car and leave the ammo there - carry the unloaded piece thus.

I know it sounds silly, but from where I am located in the office block, it will take me under one minute to retrieve and be loaded should the need arise. I did consider storing the ammo in the office area, but due to no semi-secure lockup facility, I cannot risk it. And my main objective is to be armed when travelling to and from work.

B3

User

Well, this is an excerpt from our Employee Rules and Regs handbook:

Luckily, our security manager is very pro-firearm, and he told me that he won't have any issues with me carrying concealed. As long as I don't alarm any other person that I have a firearm in my belt, it's all good...but that goes without saying.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast