Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PDP?

Default Walther PDP?

Hi All

Prospective new gun owner here. Just finished apply for my competency.

Anybody here own the Walther PDP? What are your thoughts? How about local availability?

Any insight is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Walther PDP?

Walther makes great firearms. However they are not very well supported in SA.

Best is to stick with the supported brands for extras and parts.

User

I second that advice. Once you have a few that can stand in for one another more niche brands are fine but when it's the only one you don't want it to be out of action for want of a part.

I suspect that even basic stuff like mags and holsters won't be easy or cheap to get hold of.

I have the PPQ and I really enjoy it.

I bought it for SD and the dealer promised that spares and mags weren't an issue, until I needed spare mags and a striker plate that I stuffed up by accident.

It took me about a year to get spare mags from the states and another mission to get the striker plate.

Holsters are another story and I was lucky enough to get a few decent Lindsey Ross ones.

I eventually bought a Glock 19 as I feel it is the Land Cruiser of handguns in regards to spares, repairs and backup.

I have 2 Walthers and I use them often but for SD, the aftermarket reliability is an issue that made me regret making the PPQ my primary SD firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider82 View Post
    I have the PPQ and I really enjoy it.

I bought it for SD and the dealer promised that spares and mags weren't an issue, until I needed spare mags and a striker plate that I stuffed up by accident.

It took me about a year to get spare mags from the states and another mission to get the striker plate.

Holsters are another story and I was lucky enough to get a few decent Lindsey Ross ones.

I eventually bought a Glock 19 as I feel it is the Land Cruiser of handguns in regards to spares, repairs and backup.

I have 2 Walthers and I use them often but for SD, the aftermarket reliability is an issue that made me regret making the PPQ my primary SD firearm.
    I appreciate the advice from your first hand experience with Walther buddy but damn it if my heart is just fixated on the PDP at the moment. The more youtube reviews I see and write ups I read, it just keeps getting stellar ratings from most users.

I’m not sure if it’s against the forum rules to mention a dealer name here directly but so far I have only found 1 dealer (the one in edenvale) that actually has it listed on their site and has stock incoming soon.

Such a shame we lack so much support locally on a broad range of firearms.

User

I shot my friends PDP yesterday, he just received it on Friday. Fantastic firearm and super accurate for me. We fitted the mags from a Canik rival and sft pro into the Walther, it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by NAZM357 View Post
    I shot my friends PDP yesterday, he just received it on Friday. Fantastic firearm and super accurate for me. We fitted the mags from a Canik rival and sft pro into the Walther, it worked.
    Are you guys from Joburg? May i ask where he purchased it from and how much it set him back.

Buying something exotic, cool, but unsupported as your first or self defence pistol is not smart.

Buy something supported, with a history of continuous support, for spares and mags, first then spend your money on whatever you want.

Yes, you will pretty much be limited to GLOCK and CZ. Yes they are boring. So what, it's a tool for self defence not an extension of your own individual identity.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Default Walther PDP?

Spartan arms bring in the pdps. Great guns.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    Are you guys from Joburg? May i ask where he purchased it from and how much it set him back.

Bought from Spartan arms, price I don't recall.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast