Default Laminated Stocks

Hey guys. Halfway to the weekend hey?

I would like to here some opinions on the laminated stocks nowadays fitted to hunting rifles. Are they any good? Will they last? Are they "äccurate" enough? Water absorbancy?

I would appreciate response

Cheers

User

Default Re: Laminated Stocks

I only have some experience with Ruger Laminated stocks.

Imo they are tough, more resistant to water and warping. They will not absorb water like a normal wooden may do purely because of the nature of laminated and treated wood.

I would however put my money on a synthetic stock if there is any chance of working in rain or a wet environment with a rifle. I have a Ruger 30-06 with Hogue stock = works very well. I also have a Steyr 9,3 with Steyr synthetic stock and a Steyr Elite 308 with synthetic stock.. The synthetics are maintenance free, free floating, non warping.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    The synthetics are maintenance free, free floating, non warping.
    Plus they look cool and, being black, are tactical.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

A good quality laminated stock should be better than a normal stock. With lamination you are actually relieving internal stresses that is within the wood and applying your own stress pattern. Also they seem to be more resistant to environmental factors. However when the lamination develops its own problems where a certain layer reacts and creates a counter stress or the lamination fails at a area, your problems would be bigger than with a normal stock. This should however be very few and far in between. Normal stock leave more open to be reworked (ie stripped from coatings and redone) than a laminated stock as you actually do not want to do something that could interfere with the lamination. Remember lamination is basically a gluing process under stress.