Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Tactical light for pistol

So how do the wise men feel about tactical lights, the type that fits on your handguns rail. I was told that a light is a light is a light. Is something like the M3 worth the money over a R500 one and what tactical light would you prefer then. Also how often does one really use them or would a lazer be better?

Peace!
    MOLON LABE

Default Re: Tactical light for pistol

I put my light on my gun every night.

As with everything, you get what you pay for.

Make sure your gun runs with the light attached and make sure that the light runs after shooting.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

What do you use SSP or what diff ones should I have alook at
    MOLON LABE

User

You will probably find a lot of info if you do a search on the forum, lots of talk about this before.. might be useful.

I have a crappy thing I bought years ago. It's been upgraded with Thrunite LED kit from Hailstorm. Its also not an awesome light, although the Thrunite kit is great.

I think that LEDs are the way to go as they are less prone to breakage and are softer on batteries.

Look at the M3X or the Surefire X200-400.

The Glock lights arent bad either for incandescent.

Edited to add: Lasers are for aiming. Lights are for identifying.
    Last edited by SSP; 10-11-2010 at 12:22.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Lasers alone on a gun sucks ass, period. Invest in a proper taclight and don't go the light is a light is a light path, the R500 you save, will be needed to buy a proper light, after the fong kong special has seen its ass after one mag of happy time. Most of the cheap taclights are designed for airsoft use and just can't stand up to the recoil of real firearms.
    When your life depends on it, there is only three brands of weapon lights to go for.
    Surefire, Insight Tech and Streamlight.

Contact Silver Bullet with regard to the Insight Tech and Streamlight products.

The IT WX150 and XTI Procyon is a awesome products.

If you do want a laser, rather opt for a laser & light combo like the IT M/X6 or the Streamlight TLR2, but whatever you do, do not opt for a laser only, good light for SD purpose is ultra important.

User

Lasers have a purpose, shooting from unconventional positions (also think home-defense while handling a child etc. if that is applicable) and inducing stress on the adversary. They do have their place, and I think that the one place they really do shine is when using a ballistic shield (primarily for LE).

Nevertheless, the SureFire X300 (sans laser) and X400 (with laser) would be my recommendation above any other brand. ITI make good stuff, yes - but you won't go wrong with a SF, IMHO.

I am a huge fan of the SureFire X300 weaponlight, but it is kinda pricey. I also have and use the Streamlight TLR-1, which is in use by many LE agencies in the states and has proven to be very rugged and trouble free as well. The X300 puts out a bit more light but the TLR-1 with the later C4 LED (they all use it now and have for well over a year but the earlier ones did not...it will have the 'C4' marked on the box) is excellent, and you can almost buy two TLR-1's for the price of the X300. believe MRS T used to handle Streamlight but not sure if they still do.

Whoever told you the 'light is a light' story must have been hawking some cheap junk because that is most assuredly not the case. There are huge differences in quality and the amount of light put out even among LED models. I know both KK20 and Swattie have X300's and have used many different types of torches as well. I think they will confirm that a really good light is money well spent.

Having said that, a weaponlight is not 'magic'. You still need to use it correctly, and it may not even be needed in some circumstances. The big difference is that if you DO need one, the weaponlight is right there and not on the floor under the bed where it rolled after you knocked it off while getting out of bed in a hurry, etc.

As mentioned...do a search.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Iv got the Glock GTL 10. Works good enough for me. easy to switch on and off, nice and bright.

Attached Images Attached Images

It was a well resputer firearms retailer that told me a light is a light when I asked them if they stock the X3 and I was told I'd only be wasting my money.
    Thanks a mill for the advice, Ill invest in a propar one. If there's anyone on this site that sells them pls pm me as I would prefer to support here first!
    MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast