Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default RIP Swartklip .22lr... now what?

From much phoning around it would seem that whatever old-stock of Swartklip .22 ammo that was still lying around on shelves at gunshops has dried up (if I'm wrong and you know of some still floating around (esp. sub-sonic) please let me know). The question is, now what?

I was offered LVE Sobol .22lr ammo (std. and high-vel) yesterday at R15/50, which is a good price. This ammo is a total unknown to me. It looks Russian. It's in a green box with a dassie on steriods on the box (prolly a marmot). Has anyone used this stuff? If yes, what's it like? I see that S&B is also on the shelves in .22 at R34 (std) and R38/50 (high-vel HP). Anyone know of other .22 ammo on the market to replace Swartklip?

Default Re: RIP Swartklip .22lr... now what?

Ive shot a bit of the LVE stuff. Its reasonably accurate, for the price. I found the velocities to be a bit up and down.

Its pretty dirty stuff though. This has one really cool side effect: Unburnt powder builds up in the suppressor and then, after firing a shot, cooks off. Resulting in a mini-RPG noise.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I am talking under correction, but I think that Nicholas Yale did or are going to bring in some .22 ammo. Not sure what. Give them a buzz...

User

Use to buy GECO at a good price R25-28/50.

Was donated 1500 Swartklip standard velocity rounds. So I'm set for a while.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Ive shot a bit of the LVE stuff. Its reasonably accurate, for the price. I found the velocities to be a bit up and down.
    Thanks. I 'spose at R15/50 it's better than a swift kick in the chops. Gonna get some of those LVEs (in sub, std and high vel) and see what they do through the .22 over the weekend. If I can at least 2" groups at 50m (i.e. Minute of Guineafowl) I'll be kinda happy. I miss Swartklip's sub-sonic already... :'(

Banned

Took these Russian LVEs for a run this weekend (thanks BB). The LVE Sobol (std) gave OK groupings at 25m and 50m (2") should hit what you're aiming at if it's bigger than a large rat. The LVE Surok (HV hollow-point) was disappointment at all levels other than price. As per SSP, very messy ammo. I could make a candle with all the wax / gunk wiped off the cartridge and out of the hollow-point! Groups were too big at 50m and too erratic to allow use on a live animal. Good for plinking at steel I 'spose.

User

Check Camdix.
    They had mean Swartklip HP's for sale as well as CCI Velocitors (best round out in my books for .22)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank
    Check Camdix.
    They had mean Swartklip HP's for sale as well as CCI Velocitors (best round out in my books for .22)
    Thanks Brendank. I tried Camdix, nada on the Swartklip. I did manage to score some Swartklip Blitzers & HPs and some CCI Stingers at a crazy price elsewhere though!

User

Quote Originally Posted by dhignett
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendank
    Check Camdix.
    Thanks Brendank. I tried Camdix, nada on the Swartklip. I did manage to score some Swartklip Blitzers & HPs and some CCI Stingers at a crazy price elsewhere though!
    Huh?? I saw Swartklip .22 HP's there on Friday...
    Pleasure.

Just bought some Remington Subsonic from VLT in Pretoria - crazy price. Had Winchester Wildcat at better price around R 350 per 500. Mike Henn at Kolskoot Potshot got plenty .22 Swartklip left.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast