Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default .375 Vector Rifle

I want to purchase a .375 Holland and Holland. I went to my local dealer and have 3x options. I have other rifles that I hunt with. I am also not thinking of hunting Buff or Ellie at this stage. I however have a property in a Big 5 Game reserve and might one day need to protect myself or someone els from Lion, Leopard,Buff or Ellie. Obviously I would prefer to never be in such a situation.

I am leaning towards the Vector. I own a Zastava rifle and know the reputation of the CZ rifles, but I can find no info on the Vector. Can any one help. I know it is a South African rifle with a old Mauser K98 action. This appeals to me as I have a .308 from Musgrave with an Identical action. Any comments?

The options available to me.
    1. A Vector .375 for R12000.00
    2. A Zastava .375 for R11000.00
    3. A CZ 93x62 9.3X62 for R13000.00

Default Re: .375 Vector Rifle

Ik I have 3 vector 375s with zastava k98 clone actions. My rifles have bull barrels and are used every day as game lodge carry rifles. I freely admit that I made a mistake in buying these. Although they are reliable (mostly, with some recent problems) they are better suited to hunting and not as a DG rifle due to the low capacity of only 3 rounds. If I were you Id look for a good second hand cz in 375 as your first choice.

User

Hi Bushboy. When I handled the Vector I noticed on the side of the action in very faint print punched in the metal Brno. It is obvious that this action was previously from Brno. I in any way doubt if that will make a difference.

If theyve just re-barreled a brno action or cz (either a 550 or 602 action) then, provided it was done properly youre GTG. What was the mag capacity as this may give you a clue.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Hi Bushboy. When I handled the Vector I noticed on the side of the action in very faint print punched in the metal Brno. It is obvious that this action was previously from Brno. I in any way doubt if that will make a difference.
    The Vektor was probably built on a "scrubbed" Brno VZ24 Mauser action.

I would rather go for the CZ 550 Magnum (you should be able to find one for around 3 grand more than the 9.3x62).

I have a Zastava .270 & .30-06 -- love them both. But when it comes to magnum-length cartridges and increased capacity, nothing can compare to the CZ 550 magnum.

If you think a 9.3x62 will suffice (and I think it would in your case) then go for the CZ in that calibre.

User

It is a K98. It is stamped on the side. Problem with the 9.3, although I quite like it is the fact that I won't be able to hunt with it, as the .375 is the minimum on dangerous game. Who knows one day my ship might come in and I might want to hunt a Buff.

User

I have to agree the for dedicated DG use I would also choose the CZ 550 Mag. You can get one new for about 16k. I almost took the plunge on a CZ but eventually went for the new Winchester M70....I am am an Winchester fan and when I held it n my hands I just knew we were meant for eachother... Its also controlled round feed etc....just a bit more refined than the CZ. Unfortunately only 3 round mag capacty.

User

I had a chat to the dealer. The Vector only takes 3x 375 rounds. The CZ takes 6x 9.3 rounds. For R5000.00 more I can get the CZ in .375 that will also take 6. But R5000.00 is steep and it is not a Mauser K98 action. I was let to believe that the Mauser K98 action was the most reliable action for a big game rifle if you look at bolt actions, and that there won't be much time to fire of 6x rounds in any way. To be honest I actually don't know, there is so many different opinions on this subject.

User

For my money, I would go with the Zastava or Vektor. R5,00 is a lot more to pay for extra magazine capacity and if the standard length Mauser action is made to feed properly there should be no problems.

The CZ Magnum only carries 5 in the magazine, but I guess 6 is right if you go "one up". You are right that it is seldom you will need that amount of firepower.

Just btw, the CZ is not a true Mauser or copy thereof, it is an "improved" version which incorporates all of the Mauser features, with some minor changes.

When the SHTF, those extra 2 rounds and the big space available to pop in extra rounds will come in very handy. Sadly most animals havent read about the awesome instant killing power of any rifles and fail to follow the rules and drop right there, they often need reminding with repeated shots . Do this simple excercise straight from the ARH (advanced rifle handling for guides mostly) course test: with the rifle shouldered open the bolt and put a round into the mag from your belt pouch. Try this with a k98 and then a cz 550 or 602. Its chalk and cheese. This excercise is normally done as follows: 3 rounds on target as fast as possible, open bolt and insert extra round then re engage as fast as possible. Its under pressure when things go wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast