Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Different hunting rifle categories

OK, who can help me with this question. I started hunting last year, was about to purchase a .338 or .330 now in Jan, but those calibres aren't available for a few more months. What categories do CFR accept for the different hunting types?

Long range
    Medium range

Big game
    Medium game
    Small game

Bushveld
    Plains

etc
    etc

So, the question is, as a dedicated hunter, how many hunting rifles can one really own?

My original thinking was that I'll go for a bigger calibre like 338 and then a smaller calibre like 243 for small game, instead of the all-purpsoe calibres such as .308 and -06 which CFR can turn around and say is good for everything...

What does the calibre 'matrix' really look like?

Default Re: Different hunting rifle categories

Well, they're only really good for what they setup to shoot as a start so depending on the setup of your particular 06/08 it may be well suited to bushveld hunting but not necessarily so for plains game hunting....at least not without much effort and range time to make the necessary changes.

I think the CFR may have a problem with someone wanting both an 3006 and a 308 but not necessarily so for a person that wants a 243,30-06 and 338

As I've heard many times over it all comes down to a proper motivation and provided you're able to do that your applications should be successful

I am not sure there is a official caliber matrix. If there is, I would love to see it. As far as I know the SA Hunters Association went the extra mile and had some kink of workshop with the CFA in this regard as to help the CFA understand this concept. I think it is also on how you motivate it and would say that you could put forward a good logical explanation to why you want to own a specific caliber and why something else you own would not be suitable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by makeminea10mm
    What categories do CFR accept for the different hunting types?
    Dude, I think you're expecting too much from the CFR to think that far and with such complexity. The answer is not so much what the CFR will accept (insofar as cailiber / category for varying ranges, veld and game) but what you can logically motivate. Basically, if the law is applied as it's written, if you can provide a logical motivation for it then you may (must!) get it (even duplicating calibers as nowhere does it say (as DSS / DH) that you are limited to one gun per caliber).

So, the question is, as a dedicated hunter, how many hunting rifles can one really own?
    As above, nowhere in the legislation is a specific number pegged to a dedicated status. So basically, if you're dedicated and you can motivate then there is (theoretically) no limit! IMO the same applies to handguns for DSS status (you asked a similar question in a previous post). Maybe I'm being too pragmatic for the CFR but this is what THEIR law states.

What does the calibre 'matrix' really look like?
    I don't think that there is one, nor should there be. Previous (and some current) hunting related legislation linked specific (minimum) calibers to specific groups of game (i.e. 6.5mm for oryx, hartebeest, kudu, buffalo etc.).
    FYI, the current thinking amongst the conservation and hunting fraternity is to move away from this minimum caliber thinking as it becomes too prescripive too quickly and doesn't keep pace with the rapid developments in weaponry, reloading, balistics etc. Ironically the concept of using kinetic energy to prescribe minimums is now in vogue (ironic because bowhunters have been using it for ages). In bowhunting the minimum KE for larger antelope (i.e. oryx, eland etc.) is 60 ft. lbs and so the scale slides up and down based on KE. This can (and is) quite easily applied to rifles and will allow certain calibers (the .270 immediately springs to mind) to straddle several animal groups and thus not be limited to one group solely because of its (fixed) caliber. The idea of KE is also something that can easily be used on a CFR motivation and will also allow more wiggle-room insofar as acquiring licences for duplicate or similar calibers (i.e. a .308 and a .30-06).

Quote Originally Posted by dhignett
    Maybe I'm being too pragmatic for the CFR but this is what THEIR law states.
    No it is not THEIR law....it is the law of OUR COUNTRY......

The CFR is their to enforce THIS law in terms of the licensing of firearms.

Thanks for all your help..

User

Just got both my 7x57 and 308 approved, It's all about proving the "need" to CFR.

I got Legally Armed to do my motivation on all my app's, so far no problems apart from the long wait at CFR.

Thanks Philip,

Care to mention what the underlying basis of their motivation was - I.e: 308 for bush, 7x57 for pleins?

How much does Legally Armed charge for such a licence motivation?

How long did you wait?

Oh look.. Now I'm a Jnr member.. How did that happen..

It is based on your amount of posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast