Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Information regarding Webleys

I have trawled the interweb in search of a credible and comprehensive quide to the Webley & Scott .455 top break revolver. General reference books are a bit thin on the subject as well. I am looking for the number of Mk III's produced (1897 - ? ). According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) the MK III was never issued for British military service; surely this cannot be? Any assitance and wisdom will be much appreciated.

Cheerio.

Default Re: Information regarding Webleys

Try and get hold of a guy called peter Smith from http://www.highpowerrifle.co.za

He is a webley collector and might give you more info on them ,or PM me for he's Email adress

Yep..Peter knows most of what there is to know about Webleys.
    Also, you can post here: http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...ritish-Gun-Pub and they will sort you out.

SXT

User

Hi Piney, according to 'Webley Revolvers' from Bruce + Reinhart the Webley MkIII was sealed on 5 Oct 1897 and approved for Land and Naval services on 27 Nov 1897. The MkIV was produced from 1899 and I can not say if they produced the MkIII parallel with the MkIV, but I doubt it as the MkIV was an improvement.

They also state that the serial number did not continue from the previous pattern, but recommenced as a seperate series. The highest observed serial for a MkIII service revolver was No 80012.

The MkIII was patented by William Whiting in 1891 (pat no 3427) and modified in 1896 (pat no 17291)

Corrie, or anybody else with knowledge on this subject.
    My Webley is a chrome plated revolver in .38 S&W calibre.
    it has plastic (or Bakelite?) grips.
    On the left on the top strap: MARK"III'.38
    On left below the cylinder: W&S with a logo.
    On top of top strap:P.WEBLEY & SON. LONDON & BIRMINGHAM.
    On right under cylinder: 7827 WEBLEY PATENTS
    Last three digits of serial no. also on cylinder face, cylinder release and in front of hinge.

Now the family history of this revolver is:
    My great grandfather (Petrus Johannes Barnard) was a Field cornet in the Anglo Boer war.
    Under his command was a German volunteer who also fought the British.
    He carried this Webley.
    One morning he presented the revolver, with it's leather holster to the Field Cornet, saying that he had a vision that he was not going to return from the battle field that day. The Field Cornet tried to convince him that he shouldnt be so pessimistic, but he was adamant that he wanted him to keep the Webley as a farewell present.
    He died on the Battlefield that day.
    Unfortunately I dont have the name of the german soldier, date and place of the battle etc.

My question is this: Is this story feasible, taking into account the particulars of the Webley? Of course it would have been nice if it was a Broomhandle in stead, but in those days it wasnt all that strange to fight the British with British weapons. Thousands of Martini Henrys can testify to that.

I hope somebody can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks
    Willie Barnard

User

Willie you have a Webley Mk III Pocket revolver which was sold on the civilian market for 60 shillings. It was manufactured from March 1896, so it fit into the timeline of you story.

I can not guess whether it was taken from a British soldier or brought to SA or bought in SA. I am no history buff, but during the Anglo-Boer war, the boers used any firearm available to them.

Thanks a lot Corrie. My collection theme is : "Weapons used in the battle between Boer and Brit 1877 - 1914." I had to be sure that the Webley fits into the theme.
    Also, would not like to make a fool of myself if it could be pointed out that the revolver post dated the Anglo Boer war.

User

I have what I think is a Webly Mk 1 in .450
    Anybody know enough about these to help me confirm it?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I have what I think is a Webly Mk 1 in .450
    Anybody know enough about these to help me confirm it?
    The Mk I Service Revolver was in .455, not 450. See Glocky's post above!

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast