Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pistol Shooting (Tactical/Defensive)

Hi All

I would like to start doing pistol shooting (tactical/defensive), but am not sure what the rules are regarding your tipe/choice of handgun. I am looking at the Ruger SR9, but am not sure if this is a good pistol for the purpose.

Thx

Default Re: Pistol Shooting (Tactical/Defensive)

Hi Wickus,

IDPA seems to be what you are after - www.sadpa.co.za

There are clubs in Alberton, Roodepoort, Centurion and Pretoria.

The Ruger SR9 seems perfect for IDPA, although not my personal first choice.

Wikus,

Let me jump in before the hard core Glock guys give you a mouthfull, you kind of answered your own question about the Ruger by stating that you are not sure. Unfortunately when purchasing a pistol in SA you have a couple of points to consider, who is the agent, do they have parts, can they get parts quickly,how quickly and at what price are these parts available, can you work on the gun yourself, what is your holster options etc. Unfortunately our market closed our window of choice dramatically, don't make the mistake that may shooters made, your truly included, by purchasing a pistol(in my case a steyer) and then out of pure desperation purchasing something else. Yes I know I am biased being the Glock trainer and all, but you will soon find that maybe when you are looking for a holster for the Ruger you might have to settle for an "el cheapo" or the guys selling it to you would state that yes getting parts is no problem and that they can order, when somebody tells you that they can order the walk away immediately.

Stick to pistols with good long standing agents, these things brake and you can not afford to sit with a broken pistol for 2 months or so, when you sit and think about it then there are very few pistols on the market that will actually provide you with these options, we sometimes try and be a bit different or re invent the wheel, don't this just does not work, so seriously you will most probably end up with very, very few choices like maybe Glocks,S&W MP,maybe CZ etc. like it or not the one pistol that leads the pack (not because that they are better) is the Glock, service, parts, holsters everything is available in a hart beat, I do not wish to influence your decision, neither do I say that the Ruger is bad, but learn from experience about the wrong choices many of us have made before you!

Banned

Hi Wikus

From what I've read, for the purpose you intend getting a pistol (i.e. IDPA / IPSC) there's basically nothing wrong with the Ruger SR9 (see Appendix 1, paragraph A of the IDPA Rule Book at: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf). On the plus side it'll do everything that one should expect from a modern pistol to do with consistency (i.e. you pull the trigger, the gun goes "bang", and you have a hole in the target where the front sight was touching), it's slimmer than a Glock (G17) but on the down side it has a magazine safety and as SWATG said, parts, servicing and repairs may be more of an issue than other generic pistols available to you. Probably not a deal-breaker but something you should consider, esp if you're going to carry the piece for daily SD and if it's your first and only pistol.

Personally and in an ideal world (i.e. unlimited cash and a liberal firearms licensing system in SA) if I were looking for a clone plastic pistol I'd have no hesitation in buying the Ruger. But we don't so I'd probably go with a Glock, XD or M&P, whichever fit my hands / budget best.

Wikus,

Please be aware of this notice regarding the SR9 - http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/

It is important to determine whether or not the one you intend to buy is a recall model.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

I see the IDPA guys are doing some recruiting..... hpy194

Quote Originally Posted by christo
    Nothing wrong with that and for some IPSC....

www.sapsa.co.za

User

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    Quote Originally Posted by christo
    Nothing wrong with that and for some IPSC....

www.sapsa.co.za

I just got the feeling that the IDPA guys dont Like the IPSC guys and vica versa....

Hey,, I do both.. And the IDPA guys are nice guys, they even promised not to laugh at my racegun the next time I bring it to the range... hpy180

User

makeminea10mm Where are you from?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast