Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Private purchase, info please.

I am thinking of purchasing a rifle from a private person. I have the relevant competency. I will be a dedicated hunter before I make the renewall.
    I have the safe inspection forms already from previous applications.

Please guide me so as to make the application as seamless as possible.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Default Re: Private purchase, info please.

As far as I know, you have to do it via a dealer? Not too sure though.

Hello 10

You recon it has to go into dealer stock and then cancell the current licence, once that's done then I must apply while the dealer holds the weapon for 2 years. I hope not, crumbs what happens if it is refused then the dealer owns the firearm and both the seller and purchaser loose out.

No It does not have to go through a dealer. I recently obtained two firearms directly from a private individual and you just go and complete the application form and submit it.

As you say...if it is transferred to the dealer and the license app is declined then the dealer sits with the firearm and the seller is without his original license.

The only quick reason that I can think about where a dealer would be a good thing is where the seller wants the firearm of his name as he maybe wants to obtain something else. Also the dealer could then charge a storage fee.

If you know the owner, you can go to your DFO and get a letter of safekeeping which allows you to store the firearm in your safe pending the approval of the license, you must however already be a firearm owner and have no cases against you and it must be a mutual agreement and the firearm may not leave that safe untill you have the license unless it is with the current owner...

Speak to your DFO about this...

otherwise he must keep it untill you have the license or you go through a gun shop

Banned

Hi RyanD

Depending on how clued-up your DFO is it's actually quite easy and painless to store someone else's firearm (whether you've purchased that firearm or not).  Two things.  You must already have a firearm license and it can be between individuals only (i.e. not between you and a gun-shop).  There is no letter of safekeeping from your DFO and you don't have to involve a dealer in any way.  The existing license holder completes an SAPS 539, which is for permission to store a firearm in terms of regulation 86(4) of the firearms control regulations, 2004.  You only fill in your details at Section C of this form.  You take it to your DFO (there is no fee).  He approves the application (at DFO level), signs and stamps it and makes a few copies (one for you, one for him and one for the current owner) and voila, the gun should be in your safe within no time.  Remember this is a STORAGE permit only so you can't take the gun out of the safe, take it to the range etc.

Try and make the validity period (paragraph 7 of the SAPS 539) as long as possible (one year) but this will depend on how "nice" your DFO is.  And don't get too creative with the reason for storage (paragraph 8 ).  This isn't a firearm application so one or two sentences will suffice (i.e. Owner going overseas.  Owner sold gun no longer willing to store firearm).  Good luck.

Agree...SAPS 539...no need to be to creative.

Ask for the permit to be at least a year and the verbal motivation for this is that it could easily take that period for the license to be approved.

Thanks everyone, for the info so far.

Has any one ever had dealings with Martin Hood, would an application through him result in a faster licencing process.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD
    Thanks everyone, for the info so far.

Has any one ever had dealings with Martin Hood, would an application through him result in a faster licencing process.
    He is unlikely to be able to do anything for you to speed up the process, except perhaps give you advice as to which documents are essential to your application. Your DFO will be able to give you that information.

Where he may be of assistance is with your motivation and laying the groundwork for your appeal, should it be necessary.

Prepare to cough up some loot too.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

OK emailed Martin Hood and got a phone call about 25 minutes later. :o

He said he does applications, and the beauty of him motivating my firearms and ensuring all details are submitted mean that there is little room for a denial and a smooth apeal if there is a denial. I think that he submits the documentation to the CFR directly thus skipping the whole "Lost froms / Fingeprints" story we are used to. Fee = R 2500.00. In my situation applying for .375 he recons we can have a licence in 4 months.

Just for your guys info.
    Ryan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast