Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why not?????

User

Default why not?????

ive been reading the threads on best caliber for smalls game, and dont understand? if i use my 243 and its shooting spot on then nearly all my shots would be head shots, so minimal meat damage and 8 out of 10 shots drop no more than a few yds. why not a small fast shot?????

User

Default Re: why not?????

gun smoke the issue was not the 243 for small game but for everything upto a Kudu. Also not everyone is capable of shooting all their buck with headshots. if this was the case a 22250 would have been enough. The problem is to give someone advise to take a 243 to all buck is irresponsible. This guy will be dissapointed because there are some hunting farms that would not even allow a hunter to hunt with a 243. It is simple use enough gun!

User

Hmmmm some how i disagree, my own opinion would be that if ur not comfortable with the 243 head shot then how is he comfortable shooting anything, i was always told, if you cant hit a paper plate at 100 m then ur not ready to hunt anything. maybe im wrong.

User

You are right gun smoke for you a 243 is probably enough. Karamajo Bell considered a 257 Rigby as enough gun to shoot elephant with for him. I wouldn't though. There are reason for the fact that we have so many different calibers. It just makes more sense to use the correct caliber and rifle for the correct application. If someone can only afford one gun he would be much better served by an allrounder like a 308 or 30 06.

User

100%, in fact im thinkin of buying a 308 or 30 06 next year, just dont know what yet. any ideas?

User

It depends on what you want to hunt and where. Both these calibers are very good allrounders with the 30 06 maybe having the edge with the fact that you can use heavy 200 gr bullets in it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gun smoke View Post
    100%, in fact im thinkin of buying a 308 or 30 06 next year, just dont know what yet. any ideas?
    Either/or I think you will be equally happy with both.Just try find a beautifull one for a good price.Whichever comes knocking,take it.

User

what sort of prices would be a good price?

User

Quote Originally Posted by gun smoke View Post
    what sort of prices would be a good price?
    I bought a Ruger 30-06 earlier this year in MINT condition,looks brand new,with scope for R6000.I think it was a bargain.

User

I hear classic arms in Witbank are reasonably prised, my buddy got a sako 308 with scope for R5500. hmmm interesting. will hunt around, thanks.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

shit, priced not prised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast