Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Opinions on the Browning 9MM Para

Hi All. i've been offered a Browning 9MM Para High Power. the original owner has had it from new and it is in perfect condition. he has polished the ramp and removed the mag brake and a couple other small things. i'm more interseted as to your opinions on this particular pistol as a concealed carry self defence/sport pistol. it's a choice between that and new SIG 1911 .45 ACP. if someone could please enlighten me on the pro's and con's of both pistols. Shot.

Default Re: Opinions on the Browning 9MM Para

Well for starters the Browning will cost you a lot less than a Sig 1911 & the money that you save can be spent on ammo or reloading equipment so that you can go do LOTS of shooting at the range and become very proficient with your firearm hpy71

User

Good guns but the deal for me would depend on the price.

I understand that there have been issues with the Sig GSR range.

My Dad has one, good pistol, very acurate, I may be wrong but I think that there were the issue sidearm of the SAS.

I shoot with one at the moment.

Magic firearm for sport, you can feed any ammo through with no hassels at all. Very comfortable and very accurate. Depsite its opperator ;D

The only parts i dont like are the sights (lots of them have different sights though so it may just be this one) they are totally black and are not easy to find when shooting quickly. It also does not like if you try the whole trigger re-set thing, you have to release the trigger fully after each shot, again this could be specific to the one i use and could probably be sorted.

Honestly though I would not carry one for Self defence.
    it is single action only on the first shot unless you have it cocked and locked or you rack it before your first shot and I do not like carrying live or knowing I need to rack it before a shot in an emergency. I preffer a DA / SA firearm but that is my choice.

Nothing really wrong with the Browning, it has served our Special Forces very well for a lot of years, believe me I have seen some of them, and let us just say they are well used, but still working fine, but for carry purposes I would personally not want to carry one, purely because of the weight of the pistol, it is heavy and uncomfortable, but if I have to carry one I will just at least put on good sights and a good size safety catch, I will carry it cocked and locked and also just make sure that the holster that you use will not interfere with the safety catch, other minor issues to look at is availability of magazines, spares and good holsters, I had a client who was looking for a Fobus for his Browning, at that stage Fobus only made a bikini type holster, the Browning is not a main stream pistol anymore so you would most probably battle to find better holsters than the "el cheapo's" but this being said it is a good reliable pistol which should give you good service for many a year to come.

I would not feel unarmed with a P35. Best feeling grip in the business. Cocked and locked is the only way to go. Because they are old school they may be fiddly with hollow points.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

thank all for the info. much appreciated. iv'e been offered the browning as a gift if i want it, so i'm no going to be picky. my only concern is that after been car-jacked once and been held up at gun point my priority is my family and my safety. carrying cocked and locked doesn't bother me so the da/sa issue is less of an influence on my decision. as per most the stopping power is my priority. i understand the although the .45 has i much heavier grain bullet it has a much lower muzzle velocity than the 9mm, which is more effective?
    thanks again all.

User

They both work about the same. There has been a lot of discussion in the ammo forum that will help there.

User

gemsquash, I to bought a high power, pending licence at the moment, mostly I have heard that they are great pistols. as for the holsters, geoff made me a holster and its quality is second to none!
    oao

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast