Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Clearing a broken off .223 plastic jag and cloth patch from inside the barrel

I used a plastic jag for cleaning my .223 barrel. Pushing a cloth patch down the barrel, it got stuck, and on pulling, it snapped in half, leaving the end of the jag and the cloth patch in the barrel.

I primed a .223 case, put some powder in, and tamped down with a small ball of dacron.

I tried one, two and four grains of MP200, without any result. Interestingly, there was no sound, other than the muffled pop of the primer.

Six grains of MP200 tamped down with a bit of dacron gave a muffled crack and the barrel was clear.

Use this information at your own risk.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Clearing a broken off .223 plastic jag and cloth patch from inside the barrel

Why not just tap it out with the ramrod?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Default Re: Clearing a broken off .223 plastic jag and cloth patch from inside the barrel

Because we are shooters and not tappers?

I've had a similar situation, with a squib, where the bullet would not budge. Tapping (with a moer-of-a big hammer finally) only expanded the blockage. I, being the daredevil I am, had someone else shoot it out. He did not want to be filmed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Because we are shooters and not tappers?

I've had a similar situation, with a squib, where the bullet would not budge. Tapping (with a moer-of-a big hammer finally) only expanded the blockage. I, being the daredevil I am, had someone else shoot it out. He did not want to be filmed.
    Are digital cameras still technically considered film?

User

Jip, he was pointing at my camera while vehemently refusing to be filmed.

User

weight of plastic jag and cloth? muzzle velocity? grouping? terminal ballistics..did you have seperation of cloth and plastic? weight of recovered projectile?distance fired?

Come on..you cannot leave us hanging like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    weight of plastic jag and cloth? muzzle velocity? grouping? terminal ballistics..did you have seperation of cloth and plastic? weight of recovered projectile?distance fired?

Hahahaha!

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post

Thank you! I needed a good laugh today

User

Very difficult conundrum.

To much powder = too big bang.

If you want to tap it out make sure the ramrod will not damage inside of barrel. Try using a sleeve around the ramrod to keep it centered and prevent it from trying to lodge between the jig and the side of the barrel. use with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Why not just tap it out with the ramrod?
    I tried to slug an old 303 once, and got the lead and the rod stuck. Had to take it to a gunsmith to sort out.

Didn't want it to happen again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast