User

Default A Real Kentucky Long Rifle

Here are some pictures of a Isaac Haines (Late 1700's) long rifle I've just completed for myself.

The rifle is 153cm in length, has a Rice 42'', .58cal 1:66 octagonal swamped barrel, a Siler lock, tiger maple stock. The raw parts were imported from the US and the gun was built here. The style, including the carving and engraving; is off photographs of an original Isaac Haines long rifle as featured in George Shumway's book: The Rifles of Colonial America. Full up but unloaded, the rifle weights in at 8 lbs even. I believe it is the first long rifle recreation to be built in SA.

User

Default Re: A Real Kentucky Long Rifle

Man that's beauuuutifull!! Congrats!!

Is she for the wall only or will it also see some smoke?

User

Nope; God willing, she'll make smoke this afternoon. I still have to file in the sights. This rifle was built for black powder hunting: Kudu sized game out to 125m or so.

User

Glad to report that this rifle is a keeper. Performed flawlessly on the range and shows every indication of being a hard shooting, tack driver. First hunt with her is already booked for next year.

(Fact is, the long rifle out shot the jungle carbine at 100m!) Jeep belongs to a mate and it's not for sale!

User

Very nice. That tiger maple is always very beautiful. Who did all the building and engraving. Man that is nice....

User

I did. The patch box and trigger guard must still be engraved, but I'm still 'in training'. Will complete over the holidays. I've built a few so far, but this is my first long rifle. The other's has mostly been SA style bobbejaanboud rifles. I have a few to build in the new year. A Purdy English sporting rifle in 62 cal, another bobbejaan and also a 62 cal long rifle and a 54 Hawken; the barrel od which was custom made in the 'States off an original Sam Hawken rifle.

Here's a picture of the bobbejaan I built for myself: A 12 bore smooth rifle that shoots ball quite well. It is however, intended for use on small and feathered game.

The pic's aspect ration is a little out. These are loooong guns.
    Last edited by gunsports; 13-12-2010 at 11:10. Reason: Added comment re aspect ratio.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gunsports View Post
    (Fact is, the long rifle out shot the jungle carbine at 100m!)
    That doesn't surprise me. With the length of that smoke pole the muzzle was only a couple of inches from the target

User

I was looking at that pic and thinking the bobbejaan was a bit short.

I like the kentucky rifles and unfortunately don't have the cash or time to build such a nice project. What does a kit cost you without labour? I've got a Colt Navy kit on its way, which requires just finishing off work-which suits my available time.

User

Richardtl. My bad, these rifles are rather difficult to photograph. Here's another picture to show the relative lengths of the two. The long rifle is 153cm, the bobbejaan 148.5cm.

You can get a number of pre finished kits from Dixie; their prices vary from about $250 - $800. These kits are basically finished, save for a little sanding etc. Some of the local dealers also carry kits from time to time. Know however, that these kits are not close to the 'real deal'.

The long rifle was not purchased in kit form, but from a list of parts and components that would build a specific 'school' of long rifle. (The Americans take their long rifles very seriously!) The parts are basically, 'as cast' and require a significant amount of finishing. Barrels are finished inside, but require flat filing and final polish. Have a look at Track's site under 'gun kits' to get an idea.

Prices vary, but be ready for about R10k, landed here. Build of such a gun would run in the region of R8k and up; depending on engraving, carving etc.

The bobbejaan was also built from parts imported from the US. Parts etc. come to about R6-8k, wood excluded. Because it is a plainer design, your build cost should be in the region of R6k.