Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Emergency preparedness

Any of you guys given any serious thought to this? Its interesting there is a lot of material etc available on US sites could not find anything significant for our scenario.

Default Re: Emergency preparedness

The have been numerous discussions on this. I cant remember the threads , perhaps someone else does? Or use the search option.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Have done that Frank. I'm talking serious preparedness not BOB's and such. The thread's by Bushboy especially very interesting, forced me to try my hand at the different fire making options etc. http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...y+preparedness one eg as well as in the survival and bushcraft forum.

The whole point is very few of us really think about this seriously. Even fewer are prepared to any real extent.

BOB's are a very short term get the hell out of Dodge option. What do we do if for eg a tornado hits the greater JHB/PTA area where a lot of you guys live? Most people dont even have spare water on hand or means to get drinkable water.

But anyway was just a thought after a freak storm hit a friend's farm and stuffed up most of the infrastructure last week.

Fair enough, then why not kick it off with some of your ideas on what to do. As you mentioned lets keep all inputs relevant to the SA situation.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Fair enough. I have about 200 liter of drinking water for 4 that is movable quickly, food for about 4 weeks for 4, BOB's in each vehicle. Clothes and bedding for 4 readily available and ready 2 go. Spare fuel for vehicles and generator. Water purification system and access to about 20 000 litre of reasonably clean usable water.Caravan thats fully packed and prepped wb's, tyre pressure and so on are checked every 4 weeks all that must go in is food and water and off we go. Emergency first aid kits one in house one in caravan with provision from scratches , insect bites, coughs etc to broken limbs, burn wounds have been catered for.

Have picked up some interesting websites that have fire starters I dont know and have ordered a "tonteldoos" old style fire flint kit from the States. Tools and other equipment will be expanded this year as well as looking for a decent old style 4*4.

Interesting thread. I have just started a survival/disaster plan list of things.

I will be looking at things like:

1) A BUG out bag.
    2) A get home bag.
    3) Home survival.

Type of things needed (water, food, weapons, tools, electricity,fuel ext.)
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

I don't "get" a Bug-Out Bag. But maybe it's just me....

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    I'm not into the 2012, doomsday kind of stuff but a bug out bag is a cool project to have and collect some stuff. A generator or solar panels with a battery or two is kind of cool to have with all the power cuts we had and might get. About two months ago a sub blew and our complex was out for 28 hours. A generator or battery pack would have been nice to run the tv, fridge and maybe my laptop.

User

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    Its a bag to keep the bugs out! Sheez!

Sometimes these acronyms drive me nuts!
    Reminds me of the story of this guy on tour in the USA. One weekend he was lonely & horny so he asked the tour guide where he could get some action in the small town.
    "Sure! head on down the TR, left on the GR, 1st SR right, keep going to the IR. At first WW ya get yourself a IS. Sorted!
    Confused tourist : HUH??
    Guide: Heck, go down tar road(TR), left on gravel road(GR) 1st sand road right, keep going to the Indian Reservation. At first WigWam ya gets a Indian Squaw!
    So he heads off, returning 50 minutes later, all bruised & bleeding.
    Guide: Heck ! What happened to ya!?
    Tourist: Well, I followed your directions all the way, got me a IS, but the the FBI showed up.
    What? The Federal Buro of Investigation?
    Tourist: Nah - Fcuking Big Indian

LOL!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast