Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns and flying

Default Guns and flying

Mornin.
    Im flying down to CT at the end of the month and was wondering what do you do with your gun when you fly. I def dont want to leave it at home. Can you arrange with an airline to lock up your gun and fly it with or something like that?
    MOLON LABE

User

Default Re: Guns and flying

SAA will charge you R100 each way to fly a handgun. Not sure about the other airlines. If it is a rifle or a handgun together with a rifle in a airline approved case it is considered part of your baggage allowance and it is free.

User

If you fly SAA you can fly your gun with you.

IIRC the security guys at the airport who transport the firearms will also store it for up to five days.

To add to what T and Davidc has said: Only SAA currently transports handguns. Some of the others will do rifles and you can probably add a handgun to it but I have no experience of that. You can store your handgun at ORT but that option is also only available to SAA customers. So if you fly BA or any other airline you cannot store your handgun at the SAA firearm desk. Don't ask me how I know this ;-)

SAA transport is R100 one-way or R60 for storage for a maximum of 5 days. Not all airports have SAA storage facilities so check before you go.

Also remember there is a difference between SAA, SA-Airlink and SA-Express. They are not the same and only SAA transport and store handguns. Also don't ask me how I know this ;-)

On a last point. I would only fly with my handgun on the busier SAA routes such as JHB-CPT and JHB-DBN. I had the unfortunate experience of once flying with SAA down to PE. On the return trip SAA had booked me onto a SA-Airlink flight because there were too few passengers for the SAA flight. Luckily for me I had stored my handgun at ORT for that trip otherwise I might have had a small problem!

Recently flew to Ct on Kulula, they do not do guns! Used RAM Couriers; couriered my .45 down; delivered an hour after we got in. Couriered it back on the day we returned, step son brought G19 to the airport, for us for the trip home from the airport, when he picked us up.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

That is an option I have not thought about Ross. What is the approximate cost with RAM for a handgun?

I must say I rather prefer to drive than fly because then I can take all my sh!t with.

User

Whats great fun is when you fly to Cape Town for a Shooting course and SAA brielfy um "misplace" your gun.

Though I fly lots and they are normally pretty good.

Well were goin JHB to CT. Dont know what airline my wife booked with. Also prefer driving but with a 3month old for 12 hours in a car, I would rather fly this time!
    MOLON LABE

Many years ago, probably about 10, I flew from JHB to PE for a 2 day workshop but my handgun flew to Cape Town!! I was very relieved when I got my gun back on arrival in JHB. Have not had any hassles since then.

Unless they have changed things, back around November some time, SAA stopped runs from CT to Durban and was only going to use SAAirlink for those flights. JHB to or from either was still shown for SAA service but not CT to Durban.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast