Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact

Right, so we (me and the Mrs.) are watching the A-Team, and there's the part where Sosa (Jessica Biel...) rocks up and pulls her sidearm, a Beretta Px4 Compact...

...and my wife is like "Oh, pretty!! Now THAT's more my style"

So there and then I figure hell, I might as well capitalize on this and start working to get another South African legally armed.

Now, personally I would prefer it if she decided on a firearm that didn't have a hammer, like a Glock or M&P, but she doesn't think they are "pretty" (and let's be honest, Glocks aren't well known for their aesthetics), and I would rather have her have something rather than nothing, even if it is just because it is a pretty gun.

So I browse to the Beretta site and show he the compact, and the subcompact, and she likes that one even better.

So anyways, my question:

Who sells Berettas in South Africa, and what do you guys think about them? This will primarily be for self defense purpose.

Default Re: Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact

It looks pretty interesting. If your wife wants one then get one!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Ya I saw an ad by NSN Guns here in Pretoria that advertise the full size Px4 for R8700-, so just going to wait for them to resume business after the 10th and then get a quote from them. She's been on the fence about getting a firearm of her own for a while now, and she is warming up more and more to the idea. Happy happy!!!

Great news. I'm still a bit handicapped at the moment with my Mrs. getting bigger by the day. She was interested when I said I will get her a professional to teach her to shoot.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Arno she can't shoot while she's pregnant.

Cerop if she absoultely must have one of these I would strongly suggest you order the G or C variant not the F.

User

Thanks, will keep that in mind. May I ask why you make that suggestion?

User

The F has a manual safety. This means either you carry it safety on and have to deal with off safeing when you draw. The safety on these is nowhere near as ergonomic as a 1911 or even B92.

The other option is to carry off safe. Unfortunately a slide manipulation could on safe the pistol accidently. If your used to carrying off safe you won't have the repetitions off safeing. Even if you carry on safe having to off safe after a stoppage clearence is not ideal. I teach student who carry pistols with these sorts of pistols to off safe everytime they do a slide manipulation.

The G and C models don't have the unnecessary manual safety. Remember though even with the G decocking is going to need to become a reflex action.

User

Thanks. That's one of the reasons (the whole decocking saga) why I would prefer her to get something like a Glock or M&P instead thats just point and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Arno she can't shoot while she's pregnant.

Cerop if she absoultely must have one of these I would strongly suggest you order the G or C variant not the F.
    Is that some sort of range rule? Coz she sure as heck is still physically capable of shooting while preggers, and a little gunsmoke will get the new babe off to a proper start!

The guys on the forums who have the sub-compacts all seem to like them a lot and they seem reliable, but if available, I agree with T that you should get a 'C' version if at all possible. With the F version of the standard and compact PX4 you can simply remove a spring / plunger and make it a G model and AFIK you can still do that with the PX4sc too.

Lastly, the sub-compact does NOT use the rotating barrel of the other PX4's but rather a Browning / Sig type locking system...not enough room to make the rotating system work apparently.

Here is a long review done when it first came out from the Beretta Forum. Filter it with the knowledge that these guys bleed Beretta blue!

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=39051
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks ikor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast