User

Default Zastava magnum action

Can anyone fill me in on the quality of the above mentioned action. I want to build a rifle with it and stick a Ferlach barrel on with a synthetic stock - comments please.

User

Default Re: Zastava magnum action

Hi Dave,

I have two Zastava rifles, a .30-06 and a .270 Win. I am a fan of these rifles.

They are manufactured by Zastava in Kragujevac, Serbia (formerly Yugoslavia), on tooling which I believe was purchased from Fabrique National de Herstal, when that company ceased production of the FN "Supreme" commercial Mauser action. The Zastava action receiver and bolt is identical to the FN 300 commercial action, though the finish is not as good that that of the Belgian manufacturer.

These actions as bit rough, but can easily be slicked up by a competent gunsmith. Some tooling marks can be found as well, but again these should not be too difficult to polish out if this bothers you.

Mine work reliably, and feed perfectly every time.

What chambering are you planning for this action?
    I ask because my only reservation may be that it is not a true magnum action, as the Brno ZKK 602 or CZ 550 magnum is. The Zastava "Magnum" action is a standard action opened up to accept the longer cartridges such as the .375 H&H. In order to achieve this extra length, metal is removed from the rear of the receiver ring, to open up the loading port of the action. An argument against this, which I have heard, is that this could possibly affect the strength of the bearing surface against which the bolt recoil lugs operate. Having said this, FN and many others produced thousands, if not 100s of thousands, of .375 H&H rifles using this same method, and one does not hear of any problems from these, so I am not sure how real a problem this is.

User

Umshiniwam - I am building a 300 H&H - what do you think?

User

Dave,

if it were me I would be quite happy to build a .300 H&H on a Zastava action...in fact it would probably be my first choice.

While you are having the custom work done, ask the gunsmith to true up the locking lugs and polish the follower, feed ramp and rails.

Trueing the lugs will improve accuracy, and the polishing will improve feeeding reliability.

Keep us updated on the progress!

User

+1 on it being a good action & barrel...
    Speak to the people at ARMS about tru'n the action & a stock.
    Enjoy the buid!
    Rgds
    SvN

User

The decision to build a 300H&H came after years of deliberating and researching and then test firing various calibers - it was almost a 7x57 at one stage. The actual shooting of a friends 300H&H is what sealed the deal! Wow - what an experience! Recoil minimal and accuray superb! You can launch a 200 gr bullet at close to 2900 fps and it feels like you are shooting a 243!!! It shoots flat and straight and causes little meat damage (according to those that have them). The build will start soon as the paperwork is done (lets not go there). I was very lucky yesterday - a friend sold me a Leupold VX II (5 years old but out the box - it did not fit on his rifle) for R1200 so the scope is sorted. I will use a 26 inch Ferlach barrel and mount a bipod onto a synthetic stock. Wood looks great but scratches and you feel guilty. I hope the next 12 months fly past!

User

Sounds great,

who is doing the build for you?