Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter

I have been interested in the Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter for some time. As a result I've done a lot of research on it. I also see that Classic Arms advertises the Pro Hunter in the Magnum on a monthly basis, indicating current availability of this rifle in South Africa.

It comes at quite a steep price - around R20 000 - putting it in the Sako price category. My question therefore is: Does this rifle offer similar quality, accuracy and performance as a Sako? I have only read good reviews about it, but I would like to know if anyone has shot one or perhaps owns one. It certainly is a great looking rifle.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Default Re: Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter

Hi Anomander

Is that the Blued Steyr with the black synthetic stock? If it is, I remember fondling one a few years back, and if I remember correctly it was relatively cheap, more in the Remington price range I think.

I'd definitely handle both rifles before buying, while they are both good rifles I didn't give the Steyr a second glance as the stock was very uncomfortable for me, it has a wide and flat fore end. It may just be me, but I really wanted the rifle as I liked the brand, the quality, the action & calibre, but the ergonomics didn't do it for me. It was ages ago that I handled this rifle, so please don't let me put you off. I have a real fondness for the Scout and find the stock fits me well.

Here a review I found who disagrees with me!
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/steyr_pro-hunter.htm
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Anomander

I have the Pro Hunter Mountain rifle in 9,3 x 62 and a Tactical Elite 308 . My friend has a Pro Hunter 308 and a Classic 9,3x62 and a Scout.

Sorry Craig I am with Wolfe (the link you provided) on this one.

My 9,3 is very light and has a 20" barrel - on the 9,3 it kicks a bit but I guess it is still less recoil than on a 375H&H.

All the above rifles are very well finished. All feature the SBS bolt system which is most probably one of the strongest commercial bolt systems in the business as well as the safest = Safe Bolt System . A very nice safety feature is that the 3 position safety which sits comfortably on the tang allows for the primed bolt to be "locked" down by a push ensuring firing pin deactivation.

All the above rifles are superbly accurate out of the box. The two 9,3's both shoots moa (and sub on a good day) with handloads and 8x power scope. The Elite shoots 1/2moa on a good day with a Leupold MkIV on 22xpower and the Pro hunter 9,3 is on about 3/4moa. I shot two shots through the same hole with this rifle and a 12xpower scope.

The length of pull can be adjusted.

Comfortable to shoot - I like the stock design a lot in contrast to Craig's experience with it.

Superb adjustable triggers.

Removable magazine of high quality.

Proprietary matt coating on the barrel and action - anti corrosive and very durable.

Is it better than a Sako? - I do not know. Is the Sako better than the Steyr - I say no! prove it.

The Steyr Pro Hunter Mountain rifle 9,3x62 is imo the best all round bushveld rifle and caliber - the 9,3 cal is beyond reproach, the rifle is light and short, easy to carry an extra loaded mag, and it is very safe.

I also have a Tikka 9,3x62 Hunter T3 model - also very accurate - probably the same as the Steyr but I like the Steyr more.

You will not be sorry if you buy a Steyr.

Contact me and let me know what cal you want and I will find out about availability and try and get you a better price.

Khumba

Wow. I assume that you live in South Africa? If so, how do you get a license for the Tactical Elite? I have spent many hours drooling over the pictures on Steyr's website, and have come to the conclusion that the Pro Hunter Synthetic is probably the closest that a South African could come to owning something like that. Essentially the Pro Hunter is the same gun as the Steyr SSG04, apart from the heavy barrel and the enlarged bolt handle.

I emailed Steyr in Austria, and they confirmed that they can offer the Pro Hunter in .308 with a heavy barrel and with the 10 round extended magaine kit. It used to be called the Pro Hunter Tactical, but is no longer offered on their website. To me it seems as if it was simply replaced by the SSG-04, and classified under the "Sporting weapons" section, instead of the Hunting Weapons.

In any case, it seems to me as if Pro Hunter in .308 can double as a hunting rifle and a target shooting rifle.

I would be very interested to hear from your friend who owns the .308 if he has experienced any excessive recoil as a result of the Synthetic stock making the rifle a bit on the light side.

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander
    Khumba

Wow. I assume that you live in South Africa? If so, how do you get a license for the Tactical Elite? I have spent many hours drooling over the pictures on Steyr's website, and have come to the conclusion that the Pro Hunter Synthetic is probably the closest that a South African could come to owning something like that. Essentially the Pro Hunter is the same gun as the Steyr SSG04, apart from the heavy barrel and the enlarged bolt handle.
    Khumba is a dealer so no licence problems for him. However, a .308 bolt action rifle is a .308 bolt action rifle. That's how it gets imported and put on CFRs system. I don't think CFR care if your rifle is a "tactical" model. Licence it for hunting or occasional sport.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Yip as SSP says - .308 is for "hunting" and the Elite is just that - its actually HB variation on the scout. I'll just call it the Elite and they have been registered before as such. Formalito imports Rem .308 tacticals no prob.

I shot the Pro Hunter 308 quite a bit since my friend broke his shoulder blade at the time he got the rifle and could not shoot it for barrel break in and scope setup. Its no problem to shoot and recoil is like any other for me even with the rather hard pad - the Steyr has a well designed stock and ergos.

The Pro Hunter 308 I am referrin to is in fact the heavy barrel model but without the extended mag kit, it also tkaes normal bases and rings for scope fitment.

I have sold 2 other tacs , an Elite which is registered under collector and a SSG69 for hunting with the app for license still pending.

If you want to see the Steyrs - I am in Pretoria or as you mentioned at Classic Arms in Witbank

The PH with HB will do admirably in both departments - I can vouch for that!

Once I get my competency certificate (currently doing my proficiency test) I'll be in a position to select a rifle.

I really like the Steyr. When I'm next in Pretoria for a Super 14 game (I live in the Eastern Cape) I'll come by your dealership. Are you with Formalito, then?

Another fellow Eastern Caper......

No Khumba is not with Formalito, he is a 'Lone Ranger'..... lv29

Eastern Cape, yes. Far from the big suppliers, but lovely part of the country to live in.

True.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast