Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter

Which shop was that. And did you perhaps get a comparative price on the Tikka vs the Steyr?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander
    Which shop was that. And did you perhaps get a comparative price on the Tikka vs the Steyr?
    Sorry Anomander, I'm in the UK at the moment, so it's not much help, I should have mentioned it. The Tikka was £1590 neg, new.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Ah. So which of the two did you prefer? The steyr or the Tikka?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander
    Ah. So which of the two did you prefer? The steyr or the Tikka?
    Ah, did you have too?

OK, to be as objective as I can, I checked the prices in a magazine, and what a surprise. The Tikka Tactical is listed as £1180 and the Steyr PM2 at £885. The local dealer is way out.

The Tikka was nice, pictures don't do it justice and I never liked it before I saw it. If I compare the two and the above prices, I'd go with the Tikka Tactical, but its not fair to compare these rifles as they're very different. Now throw the Steyr Tactical HB in the mix at £1139, and with out seeing it, I'll probably go with that one, heres why.

The Tikka's stock has an adjustable cheek piece and also has the second stud to fit a bipod, where as the Steyr Tactical seems to have the same stock as the PM2, - 1 Steyr

I also saw the Sako TRG 22 with green stock and black barrel and action. This is a different beast, but it double the price of the others.

If the Tikka is even nearly as good as the TRG is reported to be, it'll be an awesome rifle, but with Sako & Tikka being family, would they make 2 rifles for the same market equal or even close when the one is half the price? If so, why buy the TRG?

With the Steyr Tactical on the other hand, it appears that you getting basically the SSG in a PM2 stock and hence the saving. +1 Steyr

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

For purpose of ease I copy my comments iro the Steyr Pro Hunter made on another post here:

"Just had a look at the rifle and it does look good, Ive always been a sucker for the tactical look. I cant really see anything wrong with it, except the detachable magazine - not perfect for hunting. My Sako 75 has a detachable magazine and I've never had any problems with it though, I have had read of hunters dropping it by accident and losing game that way."

- with the Steyrs that is not a problem because the mag has a clip on each side of the magazine and both clips need to be depressed (with the thumb and index finger for example) before the mag will release.

- I have also walked a lot with a Tikka T3 and had no unwanted mag drops.

"but if it is truly so much better than the Rugers, Tikkas, Remingtons and Steyrs,"

- People make sweeping statements and later one gets the perception of fact - Sako 85 may be "better" than the Ruger and better than a Tikka - maybe? but better than a Steyr I really do not think so. One should directly ask the person making a "better" statement why he thinks its better and better for what in what department etc.

What constitutes "better"? and "better" in what?

If it's accuracy then the Tikka will most probably be just as accurate as the Sako and I doubt very much that the Sako is more accurate than the Steyr.

If it's bolt strength I would really like to see how the Sako is better than the Ruger and I know its not better than the Steyr as the Steyr SBS is one of the strongest bolts in the business with 4 locking lugs and the only one with a receiver featuring a proprietary patented safety bushing that encases the extractor to give added safety in case of unexpected excessive chamber pressure (it has been tested with pressure proof rounds to withstands 120'000 lbs/sq inch of pressure) .

If it's safety I think the Steyr has got them beat with the extra safety locking mechanism of the SBS which features a lock choice on the safety device that cammes the firing pin out of alignment so that the loaded rifle CANNOT be fired because the firing pin cannot reach the round even if the rifle is dropped HARD.

The Steyr Pro Hunter has a feature that the Tikka has - adjustable length of pull on the stock by way of spacers. Easily adjusted on the Steyr to make it possible for kids to shoot the rifle for example. On the Tikka it can be made longer only. The only thing with the Tikka is that I have now been waiting for more than 4 years from 2 distributors to get spacers for the Tikka and with the Steyr it's no problem - it comes with the spacers installed.

and

The Steyr in addition has a bushing or collet in the receiver in front of the chamber that encases the extractor and add more strength to the locking mechanism and pressure integrity of the bolt.

The Tikka indeed has a small breech and it would be quite difficult but not impossible to insert a round from the top and imo just about impossible to get a finger in there to manipulate the rounds and stop a double feed - it was just not designed to do that.

Of the three (and most probably of all others - I do not know of another design that is the same or similar but there might be) the Steyr is most probably the only rifle that was DESIGNED to be loaded from the top should the need arise - the reason for me stating this is that the magazine catch mechanism is designed in such a manner that there is an indent stop/catch before the magazine is seated fully to alllow for the bolt to move freely backwards and forwards without touching the rounds in the mag and therefore without chambering a round which allows you to drop a round from the top without having to depress or manipulate the rounds in the mag that are pushing up to be fed, thus there is no inclination to double feed.

Steyr has really put a lot of thought into the SBS rifle design especially in regard to bolt design and strength, safety design and features, magazine design and features, stock design and features, and the assembly of the receiver and barrel to ensure the utmost accuracy from the outset.

User

I know, I know.... Holy necropost

I was just looking for some feedback from all the Steyr Pro Hunter users. How is everyone finding their accuracy, as well as how do they find the mannox finish, and how well does it hold up? I've been googling recently and have heard some crazy reports or barrels rusting and pitting to the point where the corrosion in the throat and barrel are so bad that the rifle won't shoot groups anything less than 3-4". I don't know if that's just a strange once off occurrence, but just thought I'd inquire. Don't get me wrong, I know how important looking after and maintaining a rifle is, but I'm hoping that they aren't THAT susceptible to rust.

Also, those of you with newer Pro Hunters, how are you finding the newer Gen2 stocks? (I believe the earlier ones were Grey and the newer Gen2 ones black) I believe the Gen2 is meant to be a lot stiffer in the forend?

Thanks very much for the input, everyone

User

Very happy with my Prohunter 308. Shot sub moa out of box with pmp 168gr brown box. Spare mags are a problem atm. Ive been looking for 12 months bow for a backup mag.

The gen 2 stock is fine. A lot stiffer than my Marlin.

User

I saw Safari had now the Pro Hunter 6.5 CM on special for R30449, normal price R37174. In July 2018 I bought mine in 308 at Miran Midas for R13995, so I was just wondering. Did the price went up so much in less than four years, is Safari just too expensive, or did I got it for a very good price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3