Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: South African relevant survival/prepper info

Flameless rational heaters for MRE's Meals ready to eat- R30-00- >www.mealsreadytoeat.co.za

User

www.sunspray.co.za excellent milkpowder country pasture and really good smash heaps better than the little 100gr packets

User

User

I have just received my parcel from Sunspray. 500grams of Whole Egg Powder. Re constitutes to 2kg's of liquid whole egg.Cost was just under R60.00 Rated shelf life 2 years. I am going to vacuum pack into smaller quantities(size still to be decided). Have not eaten powdered egg since the 40's when fresh eggs where virtually unobtainable in wartime England.

I see the very compact survival bow from Survival Archery Systems is shipping from Stellenbosch again. Does anyone know what the local website is? I shoot a friends for a while at it shoot really good! Want to get me one.

Any information would be great if anyone know of the SA website?

User

I see that much of the stuff about prepping, both local and overseas, is heavy on the guns and gadgets, including large food stores.

Basically good ideas, but not always very practical as some relatives found out when they were evacuated twice during the Knysna fires. Luckily they did not have the problems with looters that others had.

I found a resource that gave me a totally new perspective; read "Listen to Katrina" at http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/bl...ons/index.html. It is based on real experiences from a guy who survived Hurricane Katrina. His recommendations are less of the "Grab your BOB and get out of Dodge" type and more what to do to get your wife and kids to safety and then live somewhere for a few weeks while the insurance company decides what to do about your (now destroyed) house.

I am glad to see the upsurge in interest in prepping in SA - anybody got ideas about a suitable "Redoubt" (as JW Rawles describes his proposed "safe zone").

Mackwag

User

Quote Originally Posted by mackwag View Post
    I see that much of the stuff about prepping, both local and overseas, is heavy on the guns and gadgets, including large food stores.

Basically good ideas, but not always very practical as some relatives found out when they were evacuated twice during the Knysna fires. Luckily they did not have the problems with looters that others had.

I found a resource that gave me a totally new perspective; read "Listen to Katrina" at http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/bl...ons/index.html. It is based on real experiences from a guy who survived Hurricane Katrina. His recommendations are less of the "Grab your BOB and get out of Dodge" type and more what to do to get your wife and kids to safety and then live somewhere for a few weeks while the insurance company decides what to do about your (now destroyed) house.

I am glad to see the upsurge in interest in prepping in SA - anybody got ideas about a suitable "Redoubt" (as JW Rawles describes his proposed "safe zone").

Mackwag
    My attitude regarding a "redoubt" or place to bug out to is that it's better to stay put.

Rather concentrate on first making your own home impenetrable to criminals, and then on getting to know your neighbours and discussing how the entire neighbourhood could be secured in the event of TSHTF.

My reasoning is simple.

If we're talking general civil unrest, then a determined front presented by a neighbourhood to marauding gangs of looters has been proven to be effective many times. The most recent being in Coligny where a relatively lightly armed (and well-disciplined) residents force kept the mob out of residential areas and avoided large scale looting of houses. I write this under correction to anybody who may have been there. Looters are in general not willing to get shot for the sake of a free tv.

If we're talking about a "government wants to kill you" scenario then you're pretty much screwed either way. If you're trying to bug out of such a scenario you'll very likely (unless you get out of dodge right away) end up in roadblocks and traffic jams and that = doom. Determined and organized residents have, however, historically managed in the past to defend what is theirs from state forces ... sometimes. My 2c

My local Lemon Tree PnP running some good specials on canned food:
    15 cans of baked beans for R100
    7 cans bully beef for R100
    8 cans tuna chunks for R100
    10 cans corn or sweet corn for R100

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    My local Lemon Tree PnP running some good specials on canned food:
    15 cans of baked beans for R100
    7 cans bully beef for R100
    8 cans tuna chunks for R100
    10 cans corn or sweet corn for R100
    Does anyone perhaps have an idea what the shelf life is roughly for cans nowadays (obviously when they are stored in a cool place) ?

User

I've been told that It's long, under ideal conditions - we're talking decades.

With time, flavour and colour starts fading, but contents remain edible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast