User

Default Licence Renewals

Hello All,

Has anyone experienced this, I renewed my license (Section 13) 90 days before expiry. The license has since expired, called the DFO to find out what is the status. DFO says that they have not loaded my renewal due a lack of resources (no SMS received). I am very concerned bearing in mind the Ministers request to remove self defence as a reason / motivation for a Section 13. Should we all be concerned? Let me know if you have had a similar experience and is there a recourse? I am also reluctant to carry on an expired licence as interpretation of the law can become an issue from officer to officer.

Regards

Clinton

User

Default Re: Licence Renewals

Keep your receipts of payment for the renewal application, the license is valid after the expiry date as long as the renewal app has been submitted.

User

The FCA is quite clear:
    "Renewal of firearm licences

24. (1) The holder of a licence issued in terms of this Chapter who wishes to renew the licence must at least 90 days before the date of expiry of the licence apply to the Registrar for its renewal.
    (2) The application must be—
    (a) accompanied by such information as may be prescribed; and
    (b) delivered to the Designated Firearms Officer responsible for the area in which the applicant ordinarily resides or in which the applicant’s business is, as the case may be.
    (3) No application for the renewal of a licence may be granted unless the applicant shows that he or she has continued to comply with the requirements for the licence in terms of this Act.
    (4) If an application for the renewal of a licence has been lodged within the period provided for in subsection (1), the licence remains valid until the application is decided.

Carry as usual, and carry the receipt and expired card together. Do not tolerate any 'interpretation' of the law other than what the statute says.

User

Agree^

In addition, I also keep a photo of the receipt as well as shortcut to the SAPS progress page for the app on my on my phone.

Hi

My renewal was processed at DFO on 05/10/22, licencen expired 23/01/23, I have only received sms receiving attention at DFO.
    Should I be concerned?

User

Nope. You are legal. Keep the receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Nope. You are legal. Keep the receipt.
    Thank you

User

What recourse is there if months later there is no change in the renewal application status (i.e. Receiving Attention at DFO) and the DFO still insists that the application has been submitted to Provincial?

User

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    What recourse is there if months later there is no change in the renewal application status (i.e. Receiving Attention at DFO) and the DFO is insists the application has been submitted to Provincial?
    Talk to the station commander. Failing that, kzn.complantscentre.saps.gov.za, 031 325 5951/4886, 079 877 6536. Poor service delivery complaint.