Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which ammo do you use for pigeon shooting?

Is it "standard practise" to use nr 7 shotgun ammo for pigeon shooting or is there another grain you guys use?

Please advise on your choice for this application...

User

Default Re: Which ammo do you use for pigeon shooting?

I don't worry about it too much but 6s or 7s would be my ideal choice....... my bigger problem is that my 12 gauge only has 2 1/2 inch chambers and getting 2 1/2 in cartridges in any damn shot size is never easy and never cheap.

If I can't get 2 1/2s I use 2 3/4 rolled as a second best.

User

I would say that nr 7's are the best for pigeon shooting as they have plenty shot pellets in that disable the pigeon speedily. Also the chances of hitting a small pigeon with more pellets is also better. Nr 6's can also be used. I use Diana 28gr nr 7's for all my pigeon shooting.

User

Most guys seem to use no7 trap loads (28g) for pigeons. Seems to be the cheapest and most available. Many say that rockies are better shot with no6 but in my experience the 7s do the job just fine. I use this size in my muzzleloaders as well but with 30 and 32 gram loads.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

We normally use Elley 7.5's in 28gram loads. If you intend eating the birds I would not use anything higher due to meat damage.

Thanx guys. I have always used number 7's only and just wanted to see if there is someone wich uses something different that I could try, but I will keep on using the 7's then.

User

Vlakkie.
    This all depends.
    Where are you , if in CT. PE or any part of the Country where the Wind really Pumps you may want to up the Load.
    This past weeekend in CT, my no7's 1oz was not the thing to use, all I had was no,7's 1oz, no:s 5 + 3 in 1 1/8 th, changed to the 5's and my hit rate improved dramatically, the wind was just to strong for the 1 oz loads, but then I may just be a SH!t Shot. Having said that, I did not change my leed.
    The wind was gale force the past weekend, on other occasions then the wind was not as strong the 1oz work fine

32 gr no 6, my do it all shot. I have a case or 2 of the stuff so it will do me for a while yet!

One thing is that the shot size is now either European or US, so check that when purchasing or comparing.

Andrew Tonkin has imported massive stocks of 65mm 12 bore # 7 and the prices are great - R 500 plus VAT for 250 in 28 gram. This is an ideal pigeon load and will chamber in 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 chambers with worry. It is also british made and is far superior to any of the cheap spanish ammo around,

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

That should read without worry. any one needing to contact Andrew email him on purdey@iafrica.com. In my personal experience nothing beats a 28 gram 7 or 7.5 for doves or Rock pigeons.

Thanx Ashman!

Will make contact with Andrew asap...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast