Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Hunting Western Cape - Are you legal?

Original post: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...unting-calibre

After a little research I found the following:

Extract from
    WESTERN CAPE NATURE CONSERVATION LAWS AMENDMENT ACT, 2000
    http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.capenature.co.za%2Fdocs%2F416%2FWestern% 2520Cape%2520Nature%2520Conservation%2520Laws%2520 Ammendment%2520Act%25202000.pdf&rct=j&q=hunting%20 ordinance%20western%20cape&ei=ACU9TdukF6SL4gaOhpTk Cg&usg=AFQjCNEgh-4J3ieMeB07ISTs4e9MMxmCrg&sig2=RyEsj-iMBfqgkRbvRZTRzQ&cad=rja

Amendment of Ordinance 19 of 1974
    1. The Nature and Environmental Conservation Ordinance, 1974 (Ordinance 19 of 1974), is hereby amended as indicated on a copy of the existing text thereof as set out in Schedule 1.
    ……………(detail omitted)

Prohibited ways of hunting
    29. No person shall unless he or she is the holder of a permit authorising him or her to do so, hunt any wild animal—
    (a) by means of fire or poison;
    (b) with the aid of artificial light;
    (c) on or from a public road;
    (d) by means of any trap;
    (e) during the period one hour after sunset on any day and one hour before sunrise on the following day;
    (f) by means of any weapon in a public place within the area of jurisdiction of a local authority;
    (g) by means of a fire-arm which discharges a rim-fire cartridge of a calibre less than five comma six millimetres;
    (h) by means of a fire-arm which discharges more than two shots without being manually reloaded;
    (i) by means of a bow-and-arrow;
    (j) by means of a set gun or any similar contrivance;
    (k) by means of any device which injects an intoxicating or a narcotic agent or poison into such animal;
    (l) by the use of a dog, except for the hunting of birds or for the purpose of following or searching for any such animal which has been wounded;
    (m) in the case of birds in or upon inland waters, by the use of a boat for the purpose of chasing or killing such birds;

……………(detail omitted)

Prohibition on use of certain fire-arms to hunt certain wild animals
    30. No person shall use a fire-arm having a barrel of a calibre of six comma five millimetres or less to hunt any Buffalo, Eland, Kudu, Wildebeest, Oryx or Red Hartebeest.

……………(detail omitted)

If I understand it correctly:
    1. For Buffalo, Eland, Kudu, Wildebeest, Oryx or Red Hartebeest the minimum caliber is BIGGER than 6,5mm (i.e 270 Win and up)
    2. For other species ANY centre-fire caliber
    3. You may not hunt with a bow-and-arrow

I’m under correction, and will appreciate input.

What is the current legislation in the other provinces?

User

Default Re: Hunting Western Cape - Are you legal?

3. You may not hunt with a bow-and-arrow
    unless he or she is the holder of a permit authorising him or her to do so
    with a permit, you could.

User

The minimum for Buffalo and the pachyderms is .375.

I have shot springbuck, mountain reedbuck, Impala and Blesbuck with my .222.
    My wife has started hunting but the .222 is too light for a novice IMO, so the .222 is at the Gunsmith busy being converted to a 6x45 which is more adequate.

WRT Eland being shot with .22 centrefires on the other thread, there's a reason we won't allow clients to shoot the Eland with anything less than a .375 on the Ranch.
    We have shot them with .308's, and many have fallen around the country to lesser calibres.
    The clients that we get generally can't place every shot where it's needed and too many Eland have been lost in the unforgiving Grahamstown terrain.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    with a permit, you could.
    Mmmm... that's true. My bad. I take the same applies for rim-fire, with the exception that you'll never be granted a permit?

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    The minimum for Buffalo and the pachyderms is .375.
    I also thought the same, but where, for Western Cape at least, is that specified?

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    WRT Eland being shot with .22 centrefires on the other thread, there's a reason we won't allow clients to shoot the Eland with anything less than a .375 on the Ranch.
    We have shot them with .308's, and many have fallen around the country to lesser calibres.
    The clients that we get generally can't place every shot where it's needed and too many Eland have been lost in the unforgiving Grahamstown terrain.
    I'm all for big bores for larger quarry. I like it big, slow and heavy.

User

I take it 5,6 mm is referring to 5,56? Or should I not assume this? It does say rimfire though ...
    GameFarmer - I read this the same way you do. But .... this is only the W Cape - what about the others? I live in the E Cape.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck View Post
    I take it 5,6 mm is referring to 5,56? Or should I not assume this? It does say rimfire though ...
    GameFarmer - I read this the same way you do. But .... this is only the W Cape - what about the others? I live in the E Cape.
    My question exactly. If I take what I find on the Freestate, it's a free for all (pun intended)...

Shall appreciate input wrt the other provinces.

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck View Post
    But .... this is only the W Cape - what about the others? I live in the E Cape.
    Found this (strenuous read): http://www.greengazette.co.za/docs/2...09,_Volume_16/

The same as WP without the specification for Red Hartbesst, Oryx, Kudu etc. WTF?

User

Dave: Those ordinances apply to the Eastern Cape as well
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

my hunting license for the N-cape states a 270 as min on kudu's and 375 on Buff and bigger problems. it might have more info, will see if i can find it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    my hunting license for the N-cape states a 270 as min on kudu's and 375 on Buff and bigger problems. it might have more info, will see if i can find it.
    Thanks 300H&H. I was hoping that you can assist from that side. Now we need someone for Northern Province and Natal.

User

i am having a look at the N-west laws ,but as always with the old w-tvl with their cavalier attitude. it seems that as long as you enjoy it with the landowners consent everything is just perfect. i will have a look further.

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

have to make something clear with regards to the hunting license of the n-cape. the following is stated as caliber requirements on the license:
    min 270 must be used for bigger game species such as Eland;Kudu;Bwbeest;Swbeest;Gemsbok;Rooihartebeest and Water buck. anything smaller than the above mentioned may be hunted with what you want.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast