First off, I'd like to preface this by saying if you get pissed off with my comments, then you're exactly the target audience I'm looking for.

IDPA, in a nutshell was created by extremely knowledgeable SME's who were looking for a better tactical approach to competing on a level playing field. Names like Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson spring to mind as the founders of the quickly expanding sport known as IDPA. What's in a name? Well, look at the combined experience of the people mentioned (Google is your friend) and you'll quickly see IDPA was not exactly created by a bunch of armchair commando's.

So yes, IDPA must be a deadly undercover Special Forces training regimen then? Well sorry to burst your fanboy bubble. No, IDPA is a sport and has a rulebook which at some stage, some section, made absolutely no sense to each one of us that competes already. I mean, how dare these people put a subsection in there that challenges your preconceived notions? How dare they put a rule in there that contradicts your CQB, CQC, anti-terrorist and anti-alien/zombie invasion training?

Ah, so IDPA must be purely sport then. Well time to don the tactical fishing vest, buy a GLOCK 34 and let loose the gods of gaming. In fact, it's just game so pack away your gun at the end of the day and pretend that you're the shit when it comes to land warfare. I mean, you've proved that you know how to shoot a stage. Why bother to even carry a gun daily when you can just show everyone what a hotrod you are when you haul out the pet customised piece on the weekend?

So what's my point? Quite simple: take from IDPA what you need to. In the US there are ex-SEAL's/SFOD-D etc, etc that compete in IDPA for enjoyment, skills maintenance, etc. In SA there are some ex-Heavyhitters (you know who you are) who love it for the same reason. As a contrast, there are civvies who truly need trigger time and they need an adrenaline push to truly test their fine motor skills under pressure.

In my opinion, too many people expect either one or the other from this shooting discipline, thus depriving themselves from what they actually need. Seriously, get over what you think IDPA is and just shoot it. You may just find the different perspective you needed or were looking for. For those who shoot it regularly and get the same results, change up and use different gear. More importantly, shoot it with a different perspective. Don't be a sheep. Stop trying to conform. Take what's necessary for YOU!