Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: IDPA and expectations

a brilliant post, well done sir!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

This is an excellent post. It should be included in the NSO pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    IDPA provides the man in the street (especially the one that does not have the inclination to train tactically or the one who does not have the time to do that) with the opportunity to try out the equipment he carries or should carry. He will soon enough find out that all mags do not work all the time and what he should about it. He will find out all pistols do not work all the time and what he should do to minimise or avoid the problems. He will find out that ammo is not just ammo and he should make sure what he uses actually works all the time. He will find out the holster which he "wears" everyday but which he never actually "uses" is not really the shizzle he though it was.
    Agree completely. If only we could get most of them to actually do something about the gear/training/ammo/mindset deficiencies and get them to stop thinking "oh well its just a sport it will work in real life"!

Time and again I see shooters, and experienced ones, having the same gear problems and doing nothing about them.

Sure my 1911 gives me shit from time to time, they do that. I don't think its going to magically fix itself though. Its also my last handgun that I would carry at them moment.

Verry nice post! Def food for thought!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Great post TK.
    I have for a long time believed (and BigT affirmed this a while back) that it is best to shoot IDPA as I would normally 'carry'. I.E. normal, civies, my carry holster concealed as normal (no Glock 34, no tactical fishing vest, just plain everyday carry). I find this is a good practical, practice to enhance my shooting and reflexes.

User

brilliant

User

Firstly, Thorkind, great post!
    that it is best to shoot IDPA as I would normally 'carry'. I.E. normal, civies, my carry holster concealed as normal
    I agree 100%. Training /competing done in your normal EDC gear can only help you to a) work out any problems, b) re -inforce those muscle memory/ skills pathways in your brain.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    He will find out all pistols do not work all the time and what he should do to minimise or avoid the problems.
    Guys with revolvers will also be made aware that they are not the grand standard of reliability, prior to IDPA no one but no one could convince me that a pistol could be more reliable that a revolver. Boy have I learned different!

{disclaimer, this post is in no way meant to discredit any six guns on the market or loyal addicts of the revolver fraternity. I remain a dedicated revolver lover and will continue to shoot mine. With ammo not loaded with pmp primers!}

Great post. Agree it should be part of the NSO.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    I have for a long time believed that it is best to shoot IDPA as I would normally 'carry'. I.E. normal, civies, my carry holster concealed as normal (no Glock 34, no tactical fishing vest, just plain everyday carry). I find this is a good practical, practice to enhance my shooting and reflexes.
    You can get the best of both worlds out of IDPA, it's all about your mindset and what you want out of it, this is why I enjoy IDPA.

I enjoy shooting it as a sport and using my G34, but when I'm not gearing up for Champs or "sport" training, I'll use my G27 (everyday carry SD), but I use the same holster, mag pouches etc for everyday carry as I do for IDPA (G27 or G34)

I think even guys that licence as SD should be encouraged to shoot IDPA. Even tho' many refer to it as a sport, scenarios are real life situations and if you licence for SD, you WILL be better prepared to respond. What comes to mind is Ross's training of muscle memory. This doesn't just happen, you have to practice and better do it under "duress"
    sleep when you're dead

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast