Thread: 308 ammo help

User

Default 308 ammo help

I am waiting for my 308 license (imminent.....hopefully) and have a few quickies please:
    (24" heavy barrel Howa 1500, 1/12 twist)

1. Want to shoot 150g factory ammo, need a cheap range brand and a decent hunting brand? Yes I know that I should go out an get 1 packet of each brand and see what shoots best (but at the same time I also need to eat, have clothes, pay my 3 bonds etc) so what is a good start? Privi for practise? Maybe other Howa shooters with experience?

2. (Not sure if this one should be in the reloading section) I have been reading up on the Barnes Tipped TSX for later reloading. Seems that you can (and should) drive them faster due to lower pressure?? (or something like that) and the reviews seem to be all good re penetration and energy dump as well as accuracy, decent bc (150g .420). Anyone have experience in 308 150g with this bullet?

thanks

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Sorry, to add
    It seems that the min opening velocity for the Barnes TTSX is approx 2 000fps, meaning if I start at 2 850fps it will reach
    2 011 fps at 375m. So if I spot that elusive Springbuck at 450m (conditions, shooter permitting) I cannot rely on the bullet to open? Will it just punch a hole through?
    Any other reccomendations on a decent 150g hunting bullet? Nosler AB, Hornady Interbond? All about the same price and bc.

User

Default Re: 308 ammo help

Well, I have up to now only used Siera Pro-Hunters 125gr and 150gr for hunting in my .308. (Mainly Impala`s)

For the range I use PMP 155gr HSBT.

There are definately better products but it comes at a price.

I am going for some BWB this year so I will use 180gr Pro-Amm`s at +-2200 f/ps

The HOWA is the best vallue for money you could get. I am so happy with mine. Hope your Lisence go through quickly !!

I have just recieved my .308 license and shot my Brno for the first time on Sun.

I did a bit of looking around and PMP, Privi, and Sellier and Bellot seem to be the most reasonable. Bought some 150gr pmp that i shot on Sun and the rifle seems to like them.

After hearing a few recomendations I think I will prob stick with PMP Pro Amm for hunting. They are reasonable and you can use the std pmp range at the same velocities for practising. The other brands are a bit of an unknown, i posted asking for comments on Privi but did not get to much response.

User

243 heavy, my 5c; for blessbok and smaller quarry conventional hunting bullets are more that adequate. Especially in a .308win. I think PMP and Highland are the most price competitive. .308win are pretty forgiving, I would go out and try pmp 150gr bullets and if they group well stick with them.

Should you plan on bigger game, well then you can start worrying about more strongly constructed bullets.
    (in fact, don't quote me on this, but at .308 velocities, 180gr conventional bullets should do the trick with most biltong species.)

User

Contrary to numerous comments that I have read regarding PMP ( and I do agree they are ripping us off in some instances) I have always used PMP for all my rifles and had great results without fail. I dont re-load so its me and the ols factory ammo and as far as that and pricing goes I will stick to PMP.

243 Heavy, shoot ammo that groups well in your rifle. First gain confidence in the rifle and your ability with it. I hunt all plains game with my .308. Depending where and what i am hunting determines which bullet I use at which velocity. I load from 110gr to 220gr bullets. Nothing is worth squat if it doesn't group and you don't have confidence in it!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

243 Heavy, shoot ammo that groups well in your rifle. First gain confidence in the rifle and your ability with it. I hunt all plains game with my .308. Depending where and what i am hunting determines which bullet I use at which velocity. I load from 110gr to 220gr bullets. Nothing is worth squat if it doesn't group and you don't have confidence in it!
    Ditto