Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dura Coat

User

Default Dura Coat

I saw a vid on Youtube last night which led me to another vid, and I ended up watching one by nutnfancy where they Dura Coat a Remington 700 in a light coyote tan color...looked awesome!

Anywyas, I was wondering if anyone has expereince with this or similar, and if you feel it is worth coating a firearm, or parts of it, with products like these? Handuns, long guns, etc...

anyways, here is a link to the site:
    http://www.houtsenterprises.net/index.html
    Last edited by cerop; 02-02-2011 at 10:10.

User

Default Re: Dura Coat

AFAIK we can only get Gun Coat and Cera Coat here. I do not know what exactly Dura C is.

I have seen this too, the only thing that would concern me is that it is a spray on process and if the metal has not been cleaned and treated correctly I am pretty sure it will come off - I also worry about its durability if scratched? there is a guncoat which is baked on - I had it done to my DKL (Aluminium frame) and other than wear from the holster it is quite bullet proof.

Try it out and let us know if it works - be the Gunsite guineapig :)

User

Hehe! I'll post the link later tonight with the vid I saw on Youtube. These guys did prepare the parts by lightly sanding them down with fine grit sanding paper, and degreased, etc. them. The finish they got was amazing. I was actually thinking along the lines of my M&P slide to give it more of a matte finish...eventually...

User

I have a Remington rifle with a stainless fluted barrel. Whilst it is great looking it proved to be a problem in the veldt, and alerted to many game to remember by the mirror shine it gave off. I tried the tape which works well but became a hassle to take on and off. I was given a olive coloured paint that is used with a hardner that is designed and currently used on big outside drainage pipes for rust protection. We cleaned our barrels with acetone to completly remove all the oil. We then heated the barrel with a hair drier till it was hot to ensure all traces of oil were completly removed especially the area by the recoil lug. We then did the acetone and heating of the barrel once more to ensure it was completly dry. If the barrel has any traces of oil on it no paint is going to adhere to it. We then removed the scope, rings etc and taped up the action and then further covered it with a plastic bag and tape to ensure it does not get paint on. We hang the barrel up by the action and spray the barrel using an air brush. The air brush is run using a compressor to ensure it sprays nice and even. The paint dries with an hour or two to the touch but should be left in your safe for appox 24 hours to completly harden and cure. I have done two barrels (chrome moly & stainless) of mine using this product and anything short of a sand blaster will not remove this paint. It is fantastic in the wet, prevents rust and is hard wearing. After a year you may want to touch it up abit if it gets abit dirty from the veldt ect but other than that it aint coming off.

I will try to post a pic of how it looks.

User

Paint your "M&P slide"??????????????? Hope you're hiding in your bunker!!!!!!!!!!!!

B3

User

Quote Originally Posted by B3 View Post
    Paint your "M&P slide"??????????????? Hope you're hiding in your bunker!!!!!!!!!!!!

B3
    S&W is doing it already http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

User

LOL! I don't like the finish on the slide that much. I would have liked if it was a more solid, deeper black. Hehe! I don't know how else to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    LOL! I don't like the finish on the slide that much. I would have liked if it was a more solid, deeper black. Hehe! I don't know how else to describe it.
    Get a Glock!!! O shit! You have one! Well then get another one. I wouldn't fiddle to much with the stock coatings on a gun. I once read that if you hard chrome a glocks slide it looses its durability. (That was when the hard chrome Glocks was in fashion, I think it was during the time of the movie Bad Boys II). I do like the HC Glocks, they look sweet.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Quote Originally Posted by B3 View Post

B3
    It may be a way to cover the slight rust pitting on my M&P 9L slide where the Melonite no longer exists.

I have given up on the agents after a year and a bit. At least my M&P gives excellent service despite streaky marks on the slide.

It turned rusty once or twice in places just after I got it. Now I cary it daily and the rust has not come back. I think the Melonite was sub standard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast